Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 46 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #676
Major Player

I know DVDA has some funny issues with certain drives.
For instance, a pioneer DVR-109 with +R discs does not work, but it will work with -R discs, even though the issue cannot be repeated with other software.

My suggestion: don't trouble yourself too much with it - prepare the project in dvda, then burn the disc in nero or some other burning software.
That's what I do - never fails
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #677
Tourist

DVD Architect 3 can't find DVD writer

Have you, by chance, come across this problem. Bought new PC, have installed Vegas and DVDA3. Vegas can find the DVD writer, DVDA can't. I have tried re-installing and checked firmware, updates etc, but no joy. Any bright ideas much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #678
Major Player

Edward, thanks for the response. I know they should show up in the Effect and Transitions tabs. But does the .dll file have to be in the \Sony\Vegas6\Plugins folder? Where do you put Presets for them to show up in the Plugin Manager tab?
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #679
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
Edward, thanks for the response. I know they should show up in the Effect and Transitions tabs. But does the .dll file have to be in the \Sony\Vegas6\Plugins folder? Where do you put Presets for them to show up in the Plugin Manager tab?
Assuming the .dll files are for VST plug-ins, put them in any folder you want. Then, in Options - Preferences - VST Effects, make that folder your "Default VST Search folder".
As far as Presets go, download and use the Preset Manager from http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dow...p2.asp?DID=469

Mike
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #680
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
No. As far as I know, they can be anywhere - whereever the installation program wants to put them is fine.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #681
Regular Crew

I've asked this before, but haven't got a usable answer, so I'll ask again!

What are the advantages of preparing with DVDA but burning with Nero?

Assuming DVDA will burn, why would I choose Nero?

Andy
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #682
Regular Crew

AND HDVSplit is free. Personally, I like to do something else during capture, like eat and see my family. ;)
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #683
Regular Crew

I always 'burn' an ISO image on my hard drive with DVDA, then I simulate a DVD drive with deamon tools so that I check all the menus' and chapters' functionnality. This gives me the bonus of being able to cut copys whenever I want in half the time. As for actual burning I just prefer Nero because it works flawlessly with my recorder, with adjustable buffer, auto detecting media speeds so why bother. I'm so used to Nero, I haven't even given DVDA's burning a try... YMMV
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #684
Major Player

Thanks guys. If it isn't folder placement I've got to figure out why a couple of the plug-ins aren't showing up in Vegas.
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #685
Sponsor: VASST

Does your new PC use the nVidia nForce 3 chipset? If so, there is a known problem with all Sony Media Software applications not recognizing the CD/DVD drives from these motherboards (DVD Architect, ACID, Sound Forge, & CD Architect). As you saw Vegas 6.0d has the fix. Contact Sony Tech Support and they will email you DLL’s to patch your other software.

~jr
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #686
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks guys. If it isn't folder placement I've got to figure out why a couple of the plug-ins aren't showing up in Vegas.
Which ones are giving you problems?

Mike
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #687
Major Player

Mike,
I'll check when I get home to my editing compter (on the road with the work laptop now).

I think there is a possibility that some of the .dll files I think are not loading might have loaded with an Effect or Transition name other than the name on the .dll.

I just wish that there was a dang folder labeled "Effects .dlls" and such to make it clear. I guess I can't complain about free effects, transitions and presets not showing up like I think they should.
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #688

Vegas Users Event At NAB

Registration for the Vegas Users Group event at NAB is open/live now. This event is sponsored by a number of folks like Pixelan, ProDad, Nero, Sony, VASST, Artbeats, and our own DVInfo.net.
http://www.vasst.com/registration/re...Vegas&state=NV

be sure to register in advance so the catering will be sure to have food and drink for ya!
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #689
Regular Crew

HBO Carnivale Intro technique?

I happen to be learning Vegas right now, so I'm posting this here, but I'm sure this is not specific to any particular piece of software:

I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how to mimic the type of still-picture, massive depth-of-focus effects like the ones done for the title intro in HBO's now-defunct Carnivale series.

I've also seen it done recently in a History channel documentary where they give a 3-d or stereoscopic look to old drawings and such.

Thanks for any pointers...
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #690
Major Player

Problem with Film Effects - Motionless

I'm trying to apply Film Effects to an event. So I clicked the Event FX button and added 'Film Effects' (set the preset pulldown menu to Very Old Film).

The problem:

When I previewed this event the Film Effects was NOT dynamic. It stayed motionless. From previous experience using this effect, I remember flickering, dust and scratches appearing randomly at different places. But now nothing happens. There's only a Film Effects tint and some particles which stay put and don't move throught the whole playing of the event.

I tried rendering the event to see if this problem is only with the preview. But the rendered .avi acted exactly as the preview.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thank you
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...