Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #691
Major Player

Greetings Marc,

Have you checked out HBO's website? It goes into detail about the process and the meaning behind the intro. Enlightening indeed.

As far as the technique used to achieve the effects, I'm almost certain (99.975%) that After Effects was used to create the animations and transitions between live action and the animatics. I'm not sure if something similar can be done in Vegas, but in AFX it's just a matter of applying blur. Easy pie, but it ain't free.
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #692
Sponsor: JET DV

What version of Vegas are you using? Early versions of Vegas 6 had this problem. Update to 6.0d and all should be fine.
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #693

It can be done in Vegas. Look at Edward's "Kid Stays in the Picture" tutorial in his newsletters, or look on the VASST site for similar. It's done with Bezier masks, blur, and 3D track motion with parented tracks.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #694
Regular Crew

save w/o render

Since Vegas support says my edl functions will not work with my HD on line editor, I am having to get my on line editor to do a manual digitizing of my project. Basically, I shot a 3 camera shoot of a music performance. The performance breaks down into 13 songs about 3 minutes each. Since I can't figure out how to color correct, I was going to get my on line editor to take my sd down convert (HDCam captured through a J-H3 deck via firewire) and do the color correction so he can give it back to me to put to dvd. I used Ultimate S to do my camera cuts. It created a new master track with the cut segments on the timeline. How can I send each of those cuts with say an extra couple of seconds on the handles to later install disolves without having to render the entire track to avi? We are going to trade back and forth with an external drive. Also, how can I learn to actually do the color correct myself. All of the Vegas stuff I see is very general. Is there a step by step to tell me EXACtLY what to do?

Jeff
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #695
Major Player

You also have to open the Film Effect dialog box and the use the pull-down menu to select Hair, Dust, Scratch, etc. And the use the slider bar to introduce more (or less) of each effect. I went overboard once and it looked like I edited the film in a barber college.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #696
Major Player

Thanks Ed. You were right on the money. Downloaded the update and now everything is fine.
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #697
Major Player

Vegas to Final Cut work flow?

The editor who is working on my project works in FCP (yeah, I know) and I only have Vegas and am pretty comfortable working in it.

He's sending me clips from the assembly cut to reveiw. And it's not a problem to drop them in to the vegas time and look at/work on etc.

Is there a way that I can create the equivilant of an edl so that I can make changes to the clips and he can update his version in FCP without having to do a lot of re-editing?

Barring that, is there a way to embed instructions in the clip or somehow make my notes evident to him in his FCP?
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #698
Inner Circle

I came across a thread on the Sony forum at http://tinyurl.com/phe4c dealing with this exact issue.

Does your Mac editor have a product called Automatic Duck?
If so, export AAF from FCP, open AAF in Vegas.
FCP AAF does requires the plug-in from http://automaticduck.com/

I have no idea which version of the product to get as I'm just passing along info. Also, I'm not a Mac user.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #699
Major Player

laptop, horse power

editing with Vegas 4 or 5 on a Dell 600M Celeron M at 1.4Ghz, (400Mhz bus). Intel model 360. 1.0 GB of DDR SDRAM , Windows XP Home SP2 and burn DVDs with DVDA2

think this will work as an editor and burn OK?

Thanks
Vince
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #700
Major Player

Vegas is the King when it comes to audio, as well as many other things

Vince
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #701

Absolutely. That is faster than the machine I usually use, although it's an M proc. Just today, I was forced to use my laptop to author a project I wasn't expecting to do. We only have a couple machines with dual layer burners in them, and my laptop was the only one free. So, I authored a project previously edited but not rendered, on a firewire drive on a desktop. Finished editing, rendering, and authoring, burned to DL disc on my 16 month old laptop which is slower than yours. If you have a network and travel much, XP Home is a PITA, but outside of that...you're good to go. Vegas doesn't notice differences between XP Pro and Home.
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #702
Major Player

Vegas, 5.1 Surround, and DirectSound

I have just encountered a problem with Vegas, DirectX (DirectSound), and 5.1 Surround Projects.

I have an Alesis Multimix Firewire 16 that is ASIO compliant and works perfectly for recording multiple audio tracks in Vegas.

After recording 6 mono tracks I now want to use these tracks to create a 5.1 Surround DVD (for example). No problem so far.

Last night I noticed that the only way that I have (full) access to my 5.1 Surround monitors is to select the 'Direct Sound Surround Mapper' as my 'Audio device type' in Vegas. If I select 'Microsoft Sound Mapper' or 'Windows Classic Wave Driver' the monitoring of the surround panning does not work properly i.e. is not routed to the correct monitors. Still no problem yet.

The problem is that when using the 'Direct Sound Surround Mapper' the video and audio go out of synch with each other when previewing on an external firewire monitor.

After much fiddling around I discovered that the only way to get things 'back to normal' as it were was to lower the 'Audio playback Hardware acceleration' in DXDiag to 'Basic acceleration'.

This ALMOST works properly except for the fact that every time you open a new media file in Vegas you have to start or initiate playback of the file once or twice and let it run for a couple of seconds and only after doing this (once or twice) does the audio and video stay in synch and you can then start editing.

It seems almost as if some sort of 'clock' or 'buffer' gets initially 'calibrated' or 'set' when you start the initial playback as described above - almost as if by starting playback a couple of times some or the other synch is being done between the audio hardware, Vegas, and/or the IEEE1394a controller.

Anyone else ever had this problem.

I have tried everything I know including playing around with the playback buffer sizes and even tried to adjust the 'Synch offset' for my 'Preview Device'. No fix.

This only happens when previewing to an external monitor i.e. when only using the Vegas preview window there is not problem evident.

Are there any registry settings or the like that can be changed to eliminate this sort of 'initial synch' problem. Any other adjustments?

By the way my sound card is NOT ASIO compliant but WDM.

Regards,

Dale.
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #703
Wrangler

Hi,

I registered for the fun! An email confirmation came telling me that payment information was listed at the bottom of the page. I didn't see anything, and my question to the contact person failed to go through.

Is there a charge for the event?
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #704

No, there is no charge. If there were, you would have input a C/C number. But for a one-time yearly event we're organizing for NAB, it's not worth it to change around our entire cart system. Which is why it should show a zero cost on the emailed confirmation.
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #705
Wrangler

Just so you know, it doesn't show anything like what you described; hence the confusion. But, thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...