Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 12th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #721
Trustee

Time ruler format in the Trimmer

Is it possible to display the frame number counting from the beginning of the clip, rather than the tape?
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #722

With the timecode filter applied in the media pool, yes.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #723
New Boot

Capture HDV from JVC-HD100 into Vegas 6

I am a new member on this site and a new HD 100 U owner, please excuse my ignorance. I edit with Sony Vegas 6. What are my options as far as getting the HDV footage from camera to my hard drive. At this time my plans are top capture in HDV for archival purposes but to down convert and produce in SD.
I really appreciate any help that can get me on my way.
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #724
Trustee

Thanks for the speedy reply! I am not sure if I understand. Are you referring to do Timecode filter under Video FX? I tried adding that to the track on which the clip was placed. Sure enough, it imprinted the time code, but how does that help me when I want to edit a clip in the Trimmer? I want the beginning of the clip to be frame zero so I can work with other applications (say I need to rotoscope a segment of a clip).
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #725

Your first post doesn't reference the trimmer, FX don't show up there for obvious reasons.
If you want to select a portion of an uncut clip and make a specific frame to be frame zero, you'll need to make a subclip of that sequence/clip in the Trimmer tool.
To see T/C for the actual event, you have to drop the Timecode FX on the clip in the Media Pool, as mentioned in the earlier post.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #726
Major Player

Emre,
It is already an icon on the Video Preview toolbar. It looks like a little TV or computer monitor. Also the keystrokes to invoke it are Alt+Shift+4 (and how come that little combination isn't preprinted on my WorldTech Vegas keybaord I don't know).
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #727
Trustee

Thanks, Pat. I know that but I want to have a copy of the icon on the general toolbar as I don't use the Video Preview window (the wonders of a dual monitor setup).
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #728
Regular Crew

Create Empty event for ALL tracks?

I don't know if there's a way to do this in Vegas 5, but I have almost finished my edit for a wedding, yet I'm trying to insert an empty event for all (audio and video) tracks. Problem is, I have 4 video tracks with 7 tracks of audio carefully synched to the video. I have to keep them all together.

If I do a regular "insert empty event" on one track...well...you know what happens to the sync for all my other tracks. So is there a way to do an "insert all empty event"?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this frustrating issue!
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #729
Major Player

Sorry about that, I just monkeyed around with the places in Vegas I thought you should be able to do it and couldn't so I'm at a loss.

There are always going to be a few things that you wish were different to make Vegas (or any software) more helpful, but they're absent.

My biggest "want" in Vegas right now is some sort of text description of VideoFX, AudioFX, Transitions, and Presets. I think if you right-click on one, you should have the option of displaying a paragraph (or ten) about that Preset or effect. I can't remember the difference between Color Balance and Color Corrector. And I sure don't remember why you're supposed to use one over the other.
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #730
Regular Crew

I would recommend Cineform Connect HD. Its only 200 bucks and works well with Vegas. I capture using the Cineform HDLink utility and edit in HD with those files. I then downconvert at rendertime for DVD. When you edit with the Cineform files you get pretty good performance so there is no need to downconvert and edit in SD.
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #731
Regular Crew

Agree if you have a reasonably fast computer and don't mind spending $200, Connect HD is probably the way to go.

If you have a slower PC, or short of pennies, you could also consider either doing the render to Cineform from Vegas (i.e. capture m2t, render to CineForm) and using that, or using a DV proxy (either my manually replacing files, or using Gearshift). Take a look at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52233

Mark
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #732
Sponsor: JET DV

My first question would be why you are inserting empty events to begin with? However, it sound like you have auto-ripple turned on and it needs to be turned off.
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #733
Space Hipster

SoundMax motherboard sound - usable?

I keep having Vegas & Acid only lockups with my EMU 1820m Vegas 6 combo and latest drivers/versions are worse than it use to be.

I yanked the EMU and Vegas seems happier but the SoundMax on my ASUS mobo seems to be a little weird. Center volume is low and can't figure out if it's got some driver alternations to the the analog outs...

Anyone using it for surround mixing successfully?
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #734
Regular Crew

My reason for creating an empty event across all tracks is simple, I am trying to make room to move a sequence in front of another event. If I only had 1 video or audio track to move across the timeline, a cut and paste would be simple. However with so many audio and video tracks carefully synched together, moving a clip with it's audio track will throw everything else off.

Maybe I'm completely missing it, and there's an easier way. I have looked for a way to 'lock' audio tracks with their video tracks like I do with Adobe Audition, but haven't found a way. If I could do this, I could move one track over the desired amount, and everything would follow with auto-ripple.

Bottom line, I don't want to keep having to sync multiple audio and video tracks when I move things around.
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #735

You can lock a track or event by right clicking and selecting "Lock."
As far as blanking, are you then using these empty events as slugs? You can make a selection for the length of the empty event/slug, and then right click, choose "insert empty event" and this will insert an empty event for the length of the entire selection. Just be sure ripple is off.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...