Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #796
Sponsor: JET DV

Do a test for us:

Render a small segment at 9,800,000
Render again at 9,000,000
Render again at 8,000,000
Again at 7,000,000
and finally at 6,000,000

Burn them all to the same DVD and watch them for comparison. Tell us when you start to see a difference in quality.

With video only at 9,800,000 - you're asking for trouble. It may work in YOUR player but probably won't in a lot of players out there.
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #797
Major Player

Thanks for the info so far.

I downloaded some TTF fonts. and tried to import them into Vegas but I read a message that said "cannot open; file is an unsupported format."

What then is a supported format?
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #798

You don't load it in VEGAS - you load it in WINDOWS!

Start - Control Panel - Fonts - Import Fonts - point to the TTF file(s).

Vegas will automatically see them once they're added to WINDOWS.
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #799
Major Player

DOH!!!!!

Thanks for the valuable insight. :D
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #800
Regular Crew

Hello Douglas & Ed,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. I am using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum as a primer for the full release Vegas 6. Will most of what I learn be useful in the full release?

This is great resource!

Frank
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #801

Virtually everything you learn should be directly applicable to the full version - except in the full version you'll have MORE options. Some things will be different (i.e. there's no "make movie" button in the full version - you have to render using the desired settings and there's no "Show me how" button).
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #802
Major Player

Vegas 6D NOT recognizing my Quicktime pro 7.0.4

Hi folks!

Just reporting that since I've upgraded to 6d, I try to open up quicktime movs and I get an error that Sony Quicktime plugin doesn't THINK my quicktime is properly installed.

I shut down vegas, play around in Quicktime, then come back to Vegas and suddenly it takes - I have to restart vegas though. Thought that was it - a one-time thing - but happened again when I re-started vegas later in the day...

Same thing - had to stop vegas, fiddle ie. play some quicktime mov's or whatever - then re-start vegas and suddenly all was fine.

Anyone else having wonky 6d behavior with Quicktime?

Is there some tweak I can make to sony plugins directory so it will see my quicktime "better?"

thanks
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #803
New Boot

Follow up

Thanks for the info. We decided to buy Connect HD. The producer had been using the trial version a couple weeks ago and it has expired. Our purchased install won't work yet (keeps saying our key has expired), but we have a support ticket in for that.

We are in the process of setting up our workflow, and I wondered if there is a difference in choosing 23.97 versus 24 for the edit. I thought I read in some threads here that there isn't a difference. My first instinct was to go 23.97.

Edit: Just to clarify, the majority of our footage is shot. It will all be HDV-HD24P from a JVC GY-HD100. Now we are just deciding the best ways to work with it in Vegas.

Last edited by Derek Miner; March 15th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #804
Regular Crew

fast cuts = video and audio out of sync?

Hi,

I was editing with very fast cuts and all seemed well until I rendered it and watched the finished video. It seems that the audio and video were getting out of sync for those parts. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Will
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #805

Is it possible that, because of the fast cuts, you were dragging the events out of sync?

Are you on Vegas 6 and is it giving the pink "out of sync" indicators?

If it's in sync on the timeline, the rendered output should be as well.
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #806
Inner Circle

On general principles, the first thing I'd try is a reinstall of QT.
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #807
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Is it possible that, because of the fast cuts, you were dragging the events out of sync?

Are you on Vegas 6 and is it giving the pink "out of sync" indicators?

If it's in sync on the timeline, the rendered output should be as well.
Yes I am on Vegas 6.0d and everything looks fine. I have also noticed that even though I made the render loop fit the whole video, it sometimes misses the first few frames or the last few frames so I have been making the render loop region larger than it needs to be to ensure I'm not missing anything.
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #808
Major Player

William,

Were you editing MPEG2 by chance?
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #809
Regular Crew

Gearshift with Photos sized for HDV

If I am using Gearshift and adding photos sized for HDV (1440x1080 with PAR-1.333) while working with SD proxy media, do I need to do anything special with the photos (like make a proxy version of those - does Gearshift even have the ability to make a proxy for photos?), or should I just add photos during the edit and not worry about it? I just got to thinking about how the proxy files would intermingle with photos for HDV and am just wondering what is the typical workflow. Thanks, Shawn
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #810
Regular Crew

I, too, am guessing at what you are trying to do based on your description, but if I'm guessing correctly, you are using Vegas 5 and want to put a sequence in front of multiple video and audio tracks that are already carefully aligned -- and if you just put the new sequence on just one of the video tracks, the other clips on that track might all scoot over, but the other video tracks and audio tracks remain in place rather than moving with it.

If that's the case, you might try selecting all audio and video clips you want to stay together and pressing "G" to group them. Then moving one moves them all together and they'll always stay in sych (as long as "ignore event grouping" isn't turned on). Unfortunately, Vegas 5 doesn't have project nesting that Patrick describes.

When selecting lots of events like this, I prefer using the selection tool and just drawing a box around everything I want to select (press "D" twice from the regular edit tool to get the selection tool, then twice again to get back to the regular edit tool).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...