Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #811
Major Player

Thanks Edward,

I knew that there was an easier way!

Regards,

Dale.
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #812
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
William,

Were you editing MPEG2 by chance?
no I was editing .avi that I had captured from my cam.
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #813
Regular Crew

broadcast levels

K i have a weird problem that i just cant figure out. I hope that i can make this make sense.

I have both a Vegas 6 system and FCP system that i use for editing.

Now the problem is that when i play back video on the Vegas system, the levels are great on the waveform and vector. They look the same on both FCP and Vegas6 virtual scopes. However, everything that gets cut on FCP looks perfect during broadcast but everything that was cut in Vegas looks underexposed. I cant figure it out.

Same decks, preview monitor, etc ar ebeing used. but they both look different.

Someone know what im talking about?
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #814
Regular Crew

The Highest Video Bitrate

What is the highest video bitrate I can use in Vegas for render the project.
In TMPGEnc highest video bitrate is 8000 Mbits/sec. Higher valye I can't set.
Another question? 1 hour of video (720x576), audio 224 Mbits/sec and 8000 Mbits/sec video bitrate when render in Vegas takes about 2.5 Gb, but when the same project I frameserver to TMPGEnc and using same parameters for rendering, the final MPEG file is about 3.2 Gb. So what is the point, why bigger MPEG file when rendering with TMPGEnc.That meas higher quality or something else? If it's not, why most of video professionals prefers using TMPGEnc for best encoding even using frameserver in Vegas or Adobe Premiere as well.
Regards.
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #815
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Paterson
I can stretch the event (to a point) but no matter what you enter in the length field it does not seem to make a difference. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Dale.

Dale, this is a 2-stage approach:

1/- Enter in your preferred length ( my default is at present 9;29 ) into the box. For me 9;29 up to 40 seconds. Press Enter.

2/- Now S t r e t c h the clip until you get a "notch" on the top edge of the Gen Media. That would now be for me the new length - 40 seconds.

Are you thinking that automatically when you type-in/enter the new length it should "grow" or "shrink" accordingly? Nice idea! But in what direction should it grow/shrink? From the cursor right or left? Or centre around the cursor? Guess it would be do-able, but I've got used to making these "hands-on" decisions and allow Vegas to get real busy with the more complex maths! That's if this is what you were implying

I just tested a typed-in/entered value of 1 hour! Stretched it and the notch came up on the hour.

Grazie
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #816
Major Player

Thanks a lot for that information.

That length thing has plagued me for years and the documentation on its function does not quite explain it i.e. that is exactly what I thought - enter a value and it would make the event exactly that length which you could then position along the timeline as desired.

Anyway - now I know!

Regards,

Dale.
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #817
Major Player

Sorry, I forgot to say thanks to Edward.

I did it and it works perfectly - very smart!

The only problem is that I am not just displaying a 'static' Lower Third (learning all the time) but rather a texture loop created with MainVision and it means that I either have to generate a texture loop the same length of the clip or create a 10 second loop and repeat it for the length of the clip.

Needless to say all of this increases render time in leaps and bounds - but - it works perfectly and looks great.

Thanks.

Dale.
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #818
Major Player

On this topic Edward, I've been meaning to ask how you wrote Excalibur Meida Generator objects and got them to show up in the Media Generator tab under the Text window. I use those Excalibur shortcuts to add text but wish you would also write a few Lower Thirds for quick insertion. Would it be possible to enter a completely new Media Generator object titled Lower Thirds and then create objects in that tabs window. Did you do this by scripting or was this real coding?

Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #819
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian,

You hit on exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks a million!
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #820

Greg,
It might be that you're needing to apply the broadcast filter? Or maybe you are but shouldn't? Or, convert studio RGB to computer RGB?
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #821
Wrangler

It's my understanding that PC and Mac have different gamma settings. Could this have anything to do with it?

-gb-
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #822

It's true, they do, but he should be able to match them using one of the aforementioned methods, if that's the goal.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #823
Sponsor: VASST

I would leave the photos as they are. Vegas does a great job of previewing photos from various sizes. I’m not sure how making DV proxies of photos would help your workflow. It sounds like it’s not really necessary to me.

~jr
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #824
Inner Circle

To be DVD compliant, the combined bitrate, for video and audio, must be under 10mbps.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #825
Major Player

How long is the trail? May I suggest that there is a motion blur envelope on the bus....even video supersampling can cause this, I think. Kill envelopes on your bus track.

If the trail is just short, then you're probably just seeing badly deinterlaced motion - the combination of the interlace "comb" will give you a ghost trailing the motion. But it'd only be a small one, so I am gonna go with the motion blur envelope.

DJ
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...