Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM   #916
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

1) vegas must be installed on both ( total 3) computers

2) Vegas has the cineform codec within it ...

3) magic bullet needs to be installed on all computers .. also any other plugins would need to be installed on all computers

network rendering doesn't help render to WMV or mpeg2 or ac3

it isn't so much the files size over the network but how fast can the CPU render a frame ... if you have NO effects or FX's that take up little CPU then a 100 network will NOT keep up and would slow the rendering of the project.
if you were rendering to avi .. and say you have heavy CC, magic bullet and few other effects then even a 100 network would NOT have any problem keeping up with the CPU's rendering ? if you see it is taking 1-10 sec to render a frame then a gigabyte network isn't going to make it any faster.
basically if you can count the frames (verbal or in your mind - look bottom right V preview) as vegas renders them then it is NOT using the full 100 network speed.

also under network rendering it has to "stitch" all the pieces togther when it finishes rendering .. sometime i use 4-6 computers and can spit out a render in 10 min but it might take another 6 min to stitch it together into one clip ..
Old March 21st, 2006, 11:40 PM   #917
Regular Crew

yeah ...thanks for the answer. Man whats your power bill with 6 computers going on...lol...I'll just click render on one machine and go to sleep for the night...lol
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:11 AM   #918
Regular Crew

audio level in trimmer is very low

hi
my audio level in trimmer is very low, but not in timeline. How can i put it to normal level?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #919
Regular Crew

Need help on a transition.....

I'm using vegas 5. I just started editing a music video we shot over the past few days and I'm having trouble with a flash transition(at the 30 sec mark). I only want it to be in the letterbox but it's in the entire frame. Any ideas?

http://www.millenniumbmx.com/2nd verse_1000k.wmv
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM   #920
Regular Crew

What will be the export format(16:9)?
I guess you have 16:9 footage on a 4:3 project. You can go file>properties and select a widescreen template(apply) and then right-click on the video preview and check "simulate device aspect ratio".
This might be a solution...
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM   #921
Regular Crew

The vasst website is what you need. The path is vasst.com>free resources>Project files (but you just have to sign-up before)
There are a lot of *.veg files to try.

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?type=1
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:07 AM   #922
Regular Crew

The video is in 4:3. I just cropped it to siimulate a 16:9 look. I tried your suggestion and no luck. It just stretched the video to the full frame.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM   #923
Regular Crew

Ah! I see...
You can insert a black solid color chart (from the media generator) above your timeline in a new video track and with a duration as long as your transition is. Go to the event pan/crop tool of this chart and make two rectangle masks, top and bottom of the screen (assuming these are the black stripes that gives you the "widescreen" feeling.
This works for me in vegas6 but a can't give you the x.y numbers of the rectangle's anchors because I am in PAL and I'm not familiar with the NTSC dimensions of DV. Experiment and you'll see.

check this *.veg I uploaded to help you
www.geocities.com/stamvas1/Untitled.zip
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #924
Sponsor: JET DV

If that's a Vegas 6 VEG file, he won't be able to open it in Vegas 5.

As Vasilis was saying, just add another video track above all other tracks and put a mask on that track. Then you won't have to worry about anything showing up in that area no matter which track it is on.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #925
Sponsor: JET DV

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54275
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #926

You can't do anything with the audio levels in Trimmer. It likely is you've got a mix level on the Timeline that is allowing audio to be at correct level, but level in Trimmer is the untouched, actual audio level.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM   #927
Trustee

is it due to limitations of wmv, mpeg2, etc. that it can't be network rendered?

if so, what use is network anyway?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #928
Inner Circle

Adding to the suggestions in the post Edward referred to:

4) Rescaling (one pixel rez on the timeline, rendering to a different pixel rez) is one of the applications in which choosing "best" in the rendering custom settings may help. Be prepared for longer rendering times - try a short test first to see if this helps.

5) Gaussian Blur is good, as Douglas suggested, I've also been using unsharp mask in photoshop/paintshop pro to prepare stills. Many times I have higher rez stills on the timeline so I can do moves on them. Not sure if this works as well for digital stills as it does for scans.

SB
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM   #929
Regular Crew

Ok, Ill give it a try tonight. Thanks.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #930
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
If that's a Vegas 6 VEG file, he won't be able to open it in Vegas 5.
stupid me didn't noticed George has mentioned V5 if I had so, I would have done it in V5. sorry george.
Btw what camcorder did you shoot the video? I'd like to know cause I'm planning of buying one soon.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...