Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #91
Inner Circle

Thanks David (and sorry for the delay).
Also, I thought you might be interested in the following response I got on another forum. I'm going to try it both ways and see what the animation teacher likes best.

"1) Set the project's Properties to: NTSC DV 24p (720x480, 23.976 fps)

2) For each clip on the timeline, right-click on it, choose Properties, and set the Undersample Rate to .999 (one click on the down-arrow there), which slows the video from 24.000 to 23.976. This is completely imperceptible slowdown.

3) Render to regular NTSC (29.976). You might be able to render to 24p (23.976) but when I watch that on my set-top DVD player on my DLP TV, the NTSC version has a smoother cadence. It might just be that my DVD player is very old though, so you might want to do some tests for yourself."
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #92
Trustee

How do I prevent Font Clipping?

I attempted to make large scrolling words(left to right) on the background but the font size is too big n some got clipped.I've seen someone do it with vegas.Can u guys help me?

The only way I can think of is to break up the word into characters (individual text media) and use a parent/child motion to keep the words intact when scrolling.

Ah..or do I keep the char size small n use the PAN tool to enlarge the area?
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #93
Trustee

How to make "burning" characters?

I saw this nice effect of some characters "burning". Is there anyway to do it in Vegas6 natively? Or do I need something like blufftitler?
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #94
New Boot

Dumb question, but how do I get the video from my GL2 to my laptop?

I've got the 1394 firewire from my new GL2 to the laptop. It recognized the GL2 and I thought everything was good. I have the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Platinum and can't "see" the camera in the explorer tab.

Please forgive my true rookie question, but I do need help. :)

I want to get two tapes of video onto my hard drive so I can play around with editing, etc.

Thanks in advance,
joel
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #95
Tourist

logo keying footage

Hi I'm a new member here and a new user of Vegas and I would appreciate if someone could give me the steps to create this effect:

I have a solid color logo with transparent alpha background in .png that I fade in small over A footage. I then want the solid color logo to change so that it's keying B footage, and as the logo zooms in larger, it acts as an overtaking transition so that B footage is the only footage on the screen.

Is that understandable?

I'm pretty sure I know how to do the zoom in, with PAN/CROP but the rest confuses me.

How can I achieve such an effect?

Looking forward to responses to this newbie question.

Thanks again!

-Jeff
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Codecs instal

I'm trying to instal some DV codecs into my computer, but some codecs I can't see inside Vegas 6 or other authoring program even they have been install properly,(Cedocida codec or Canopus for example). For instance, I have install Main Concept DV codec, I can see it inside the Virtual Dub or Pinnacle but there is no such a codec in Vegas. Any sugestions for help?
Regards.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #97
Regular Crew

How to get 16:9 Video

I want to produce 16:9 looking video from DV AVI video clip. I have try with pan-crop tool inside Vegas but still without results.I rendered AVI file to MPEG 2, checking 16:9 field but final MPEG 2 file is still 4:3 format.I want to keep produced 16:9 format as a DV AVI file as well, without encoding to MPEG.
Regards.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Alpha channels

I'm using BluffTitler program for producing good loking 3D titles. I wonder how I can put produced titling text inside Vegas but to be some kind of overlay with transparent background (only letters to be visible). I have trying with alpha channel but I can't get desired results.
Regards.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #99
Regular Crew

You can make it appear 16:9 by applying the widescreen preset in the pan/crop tool in vegas.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah
I attempted to make large scrolling words(left to right) on the background but the font size is too big n some got clipped.I've seen someone do it with vegas.Can u guys help me?

The only way I can think of is to break up the word into characters (individual text media) and use a parent/child motion to keep the words intact when scrolling.

Ah..or do I keep the char size small n use the PAN tool to enlarge the area?
I found that keeping the font small and then making it larger with a PAN distorts the font. So I make the font as big as I need it, then pan it down and keyframe it. I hope I read your post right, if I'm not telling you what you need to know, sorry!
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #101
Sponsor: JET DV

I make the text the size I want it. However, I scroll the text using the Positioning tab on the text generated media. That seems to work quite well.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #102

Render from Bluff as uncompressed AVI with alpha channel. Then you can just drop it into place. I describe the process in a previous version of BluffTitler in vol 2 #8 of my newsletters.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #103

This may be related to the answer of your question:

Vegas does not use the Directshow subsystem for codec management because of reliability issues with Directshow. Fully implemented codecs for Windows work with Vegas.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #104

Depends on exactly what you're looking for. If you want the letters themselves to appear to be on fire, you probably should use something else. If it can be fire behind the letters, Vegas can handle it. If you want fire inside the letters, Vegas can handle it.
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #105

Assuming the process in VMS Platinum is similar to the full version of Vegas...

There should be TWO capture programs, an "internal" one and an "external" one. SD cameras use the External one. Sounds like you're trying to use the Internal one.

If you checked the box to ALWAYS use this one, you'll need to go to Options - Preferences and change that.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...