Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 78 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1156
Major Player

Thanks Douglas --

I was actually looking at the Canopus...

Thanks again for the info --
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #1157

Several ways.
1. hover mouse over upper right corner of audio til it turns to quarter circle. Click/drag left. This creates a fade.

2. Select the audio track, then select the "V" key on your keyboard to insert audio envelope. Double click the envelope to insert nodes. Click/drag to pull the nodes down.

3. Select the "B" key on your keyboard, this shows the Master Audio Bus track. Again, select the "V" key, and then double click to insert nodes, fading it out where you wish it to fade.

There are still more methods, but these are the best, IMO
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #1158
Regular Crew

Actually - I took DSE's recommenation and used track motion on the clip that was keyed. I checked the 2D Shadow bow and a shadow is generated. Then you can move it around in the window and it will track with the keyed image - in this case the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space.

The hardest part is keyframing the shadow so that as the ship is landing the shadow starts small and grows as the spaceship touches down. It works pretty well.

Now having said that how is what you're recommending different? It seems to me to be an extra step in manually creating the shadow unless I'm missing something or is this just another way of doing the same thing? Or I guess this could be used a reflection - and that does sound like a way of doing that unless there is a check box somewhere for "reflection" like there is in Ultra.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1159
Regular Crew

Audio Help and Tutorial needed?

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on Audio FX in Vegas? There are so many different filters and terminology that it is rather daunting. For example, I have no idea what a paragraphic EQ is vs. a regular EQ. What are the most common filters used? I am not a sound technician but would like to effect the audio track at time - i.e clean up wind noise but also understand what the heck I'm doing....tks

Old April 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #1160
Regular Crew

You might be able to suck them into your Mini DV camera and store them to tape and then capture digitally - or - some cameras have a pass through capability - that allows you to hit play on the VHS and as it is playing into your Mini DV you capture it. something like a poor man's bridge I guess.
Has anyone else tried this?

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #1161
Inner Circle

I called Sony today, and they stated that the Sony Vegas and Training Certification Class has been canceled for NAB 2006.

They stated that the class sold out, then they had to cancel it due to circumstances beyond their control.
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #1162
Regular Crew

Moderator, please delete this thread.

I should have used the term "narration" or "commentary" in lieu of "voiceover".

Please accept my apology.

Jamie
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #1163
Old Boot

Hey Jamie! Take a load off! Chill . . . .
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1164
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick input!
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1165
Inner Circle

Off the top of my head, and I have to sign off and get back on a project...

Using Gearshift to create a Cineform intermediate should produce a filesize of about 40GB/hr. This intermediate can then be edited and rendered from, preserving HD quality through to whatever you're delivering with.

Gearshift can also render to Sony YUV (I think), uncompressed. I don't know what the datarate is on this, not having used it. Generally, not needed except when going in and out of software that requires it.

Gearshift can also render to DV25, standard def. This is 13GB/hr, and does not preserve HD quality. The trick is that you can edit in SD, then go back into Gearshift and press the "shift gears" button, and your SD DV25 will be replaced by the HD M2T files on the timeline, you are now ready to render for delivery from HD.

Note that DV25 avi and M2T use a different color space, and you'd want to check any color correction after the M2T was back on the timeline.
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1166
Jubal 28

You can move the shadow around in 2D, but you're stuck in 2D.

What I was referring to was a situation where you might want to (for example) insert a standing person next to a couple of trees. The trees have shadows, but the person doesn't. I was describing a way you could create a shadow so that the person would have a shadow to match the trees' shadows. And yes, you can do a reflection that way, too.

But it sounds like you didn't need anything that complicated.
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1167
New Boot

VCR to DV

I do this all the time with my camcorders. Your user manual should explain how to configure the camcorder via the menus et al.

My VCR plays out through an RCA to composite cable into the camcorder. The camcorder, in VCR mode WITHOUT a tape inserted and DV device control disabled in Vegas capture options, then outputs via firewire. Batch capture won't work via timecodes obviously. Although I use ScenAlyzer optical scene detection successfully if it's an issue. You play the VHS tape and capture as per normal. Works fine.

Check your camcorder manual for specifics.

Darryl
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1168
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sigmond
when using Vegas and selecting quicktime with Sorenson 3, where does the 168kbit/s come into play, I am not finding the field to set that?
Since no one else has jumped in here, I'll take a stab at it.
The only place I see where you can choose that setting is in the "Template" dropdown box. No 168 Kbps though. It jumps from 100 to 256.
You can also click on Custom - Video (or Audio) and do further tweaking.
Once you get a setting you like, save it for future use.
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #1169
Regular Crew

Training Material: Sony Digital Video & Audio Production

I bought the Sony training book that can be found at the following link:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...=1003&SPID=386

I started working my way through it the other day and it's exactly as advertised. It's the kind of book that could be used in a training class, but you can also go through it on your own as a self-paced course. It's a set of step-by-step lessons and everything that is demonstrated in the book can be done with the sample files on the accompanying DVD.
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #1170
Regular Crew

Converted to 24 but DVD not compliant?

I converted my 30i project to a 24p DVD Architect mpeg file but DVD Architect wants to recompress it. This is Vegas 6.0d and Architect 3.0c. This is my first time to create a 24p DVD file WITHOUT and pull-down appliced (no 2-3). I want the DVD player to play it progressive.

It is a 30i 720x480 4:3 footage.
Imported into a Sony Vegas 6.0d 23.976 (ITVC Film), field order - None, project settings.

DVD Architect is set to NTSC 720x480 with ac-3 audio.

I don't get it, does DVD Architect required a 24p file with pulldown?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...