Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 83 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1231

The CineForm codec is in VMS, but you don't have access to the capture tool. that comes from CineForm only.
There is a 2 week trial, I'd give it a go. It'll definitely encode faster, but not likely at 5:1.
And yes, it will function just fine with VMS.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1232
New Boot

Very annoying

I am so annoyed (to put it nicely) with all of these copyright protection schemes! There has got to be a better way.

Thanks for the reply,

Jim
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1233
Regular Crew

Hard drive space allocation

I just finished installing and formatting a 2nd hard drive.
I want to use one now as a primary capture and storage drive (preferably the new one, as it is larger).

My question is, between XP, Vegas, captured AVI files, and all associated media… what is the best way to split things up?

*Where should my render files and dvd output (video_ts, etc) go?

*Whereas the avi video’s I am capturing consist of a few large files, I have many small files (such as images and music) which I use consistently in various projects. Where should they go, ideally?

I desire the most efficient workflow possible, but please keep in mind I am very new to all of this. Thanks!

EDIT: Also... as far as getting the most out of these things... is there any user advice I should know concerning excess heat or overuse? I can't really afford to have something die right off the bat.
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1234
Tourist

Vegas Special F/X Plugins

Do they exist? If so where? I am a real wet behind the ears newbie in the advanced editing world. I know how to edit, but I never did special fx. Light say a light saber, or fire from hands. Here are my tools:

Vegas 6
Dvd Arch 3
Lightwave 9
Vue 5 Infinite
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #1235
Regular Crew

Well I just added laser electrical charges out of a robots claws using a photoshop file by drawing the charges. Then using the keyframe and cropping matched them to the Robot - flipped them, etc. Basically, I animated this myself and then added sound efx.

You can all go to www.detonationfilms.com to get some DV footage of explosions, etc some filmed in front of a nice blue sky which makes chroma keying very easy. These look good too. Other samples are against black bg's.

If all else fails, google.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1236
Regular Crew

Thank again John,

Great suggestions.

Jamie
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1237
Regular Crew

I'm also wanting audio to work with the 16x9 post....is there anything I need to do with that??
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1238
Regular Crew

16x9 widescreen

I've done everything I can to get my image to be widescreen. I'm using the XL1S camera with the guides only..not in 16x9 mode.... I want to crop in post to 16x9 - I followed the directions according to the Vegas Movie Studio + DVD by Douglas Spotted Eagle and John Rofrano, but I must be doing something wrong - I'm getting a 4x6 image with a black border on the left and right of the image. I've checked everything that is suspose to be checked....what am I doing wrong?
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1239
Inner Circle

Trust me, u dont wnat to post the same question (reworded) in different forums. Its not very polite and it bogs up the site. For you, it may even cause further confusion coz ur tryin to kep tabs on 2 posts as opposed to one..

to answer your question

1) create a widescreen project
2)Import your masked 4:3 footage
3) click the PanCrop tab ON THE CLIP ITSELF (not track)
4) select teh 16:9 preset
5) Voila

there is no need to change any aspect ratios, vegas will do this for youoh and to answer the question from you other post, the balc bars will only appear on a 4:3 tv, so long as u render out as 16:9 and make sure u check the box that says "stretch to fill frame, do not letterbox"

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 19th, 2006 at 08:59 AM. Reason: PC
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1240

Right click, choose Pan/Crop (there is also an icon) and choose "Match Output Aspect Settings" and that'll do it for you.
Audio doesn't care about the image aspect.

As Peter mentioned, please do not cross-post.
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #1241
Regular Crew

I apologize for the double posting, but there were two different Vegas forums I found or I thought I found and that is the only reason I did so - wasn't sure which one to post in. I'm new to this forum, so bear with me, please. Thanks for your information guys. I think I know what you were talking about - it was a little over the top to the newbie - but I'll give it a try.

So you're saying that it will always be in 4x3 after I burn a dvd, unless I show it on a widescreen television?? Why wouldn't it still show on a 4x3 television with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1242
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
I apologize for the double posting, but there were two different Vegas forums I found or I thought I found and that is the only reason I did so - wasn't sure which one to post in.
The short answer is: If the question is related to HDV, post in the HDV Vegas forum. Otherwise use this one. However, if you post in one of them, simply don't post the same question in the other one.
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #1243
Tourist

vegas 6 update?

I downloaded the file and when i try to run it, it says my system has not been updated and will not install it completely. Has anyone else had this problem? I use vegas 6+dvd
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1244

You might not have gotten a clean download. That happens sometimes. If you have a slow webconnection, you might consider trying to download again, but using a download manager.
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #1245
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
If you have a slow webconnection, you might consider trying to download again, but using a download manager.
. .and this is a most excellent one . .I use it and it is zippppy fast!

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

.. . G
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...