Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 93 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM   #1381
Regular Crew

How do you make the whole timeline Widescreen?

I am trying to make the who timeline wide screen (16x9), but only the first clip (I have a series of individual clips) is showing borders at the top and bottom in preview box.

Here is what I am doing:

1.Create widescreen project (DV NTSC widescreen)
2. Import the 4x3 footage
3. Click on pan-crop tab / select 16x9

And after I do this, only the first clip will show the balc bars at top and bottom....once it plays the next clip in the timeline, it goes back to 4x3...How do I select entire project to be 16x9?

Thanks
Dean
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM   #1382

Two ways that are free, one that isn't.
1. Right click and copy, then select all other clips, right click and choose "Paste Attributes."

2. Use the Match Aspect Ratio script found on vasst.com

Paid way:
Use Ultimate S 2.0 to match all events to project settings.
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1383
New Boot

Sony Vegas and preview monitors

I am not too familiar with Sony Vegas systems, and I wonder the following...

Using an NVIDIA dual-head GeForce 6800 card with an S-Video out, can Vegas use the S-Video out to send the preview output to an NTSC monitor? Both DVI heads on the card would be actively being used to drive 19" flatscreens at the same time.

Would this be do-able, or prove problematic?
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM   #1384

Vegas can send it out, but like all video cards used in this manner, the color will be inaccurate as can be, and barely useful for anything other than preview. You're much better off using a firewire/converter system to accomplish a 3rd monitor.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM   #1385
New Boot

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Aside from using an HD or DVCam for this purpose, can you recommend a decent break-out box that can accomplish the task?
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM   #1386

Canopus or ADS Technologies are my preferred converters. You can't accomplish this with HD, either. Only SD can be passed down this format. If you want to go to HD, you'll need to make some choices, and one of them isn't an inexpensive one. (BlackMagic Design plus fast/big RAID)
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1387
New Boot

Sorry, I mis-spoke, this system is being built just for SD at the moment. Thanks for the assistance. I'll take a look at those brands.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1388
Regular Crew

getting "use external monitor" in preview box

I'm getting a "use external monitor" in preview box when I'm trying to view my clips...not sure what is going on....also getting (frame recompressed) words, too.... How can I watch the clip? What did I screw up this time??!!
I'm using Vegas Movie Maker + Platinum.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1389

You've likely selected the "Preview in External Monitor" button in the preview window, which tells Vegas to play back thru an external device/monitor.
Looks like a small television screen. De-select this, and you should have your monitor back.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1390
Major Player

On the other hand, how do I use an external monitor as a preview monitor? I connected a LCD monitor to my computer, then clicked the small TV icon, and even adjusted the properties settings on my computer to use two monitors, but it still wouldn't make my second monitor preview my project fullscreen.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM   #1391

it has to be enabled in the Preferences.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM   #1392
Regular Crew

What Connect HD Version to use with Vegas 6.0d?

Is it ok to use Connect HD version 1,5 with Vegas 6.0d? I found it much cheaper on internet than version 2.0.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM   #1393
Tourist

Vegas 6 Audio Capture Problem

I have Vegas 6 with the most recent updates installed. I have just begun experiencing audio problems during capture. The video capture is OK, however, the audio is all broken up through out the entire capture.

I recently installed DVD Xpress and un-installed it thinking that may be conflicting some how. I also closed all unnecessary processes that were running in the background. I also re-installed Vegas. One of our IT guys said to try defragmenting my hard drive. I tried using a different DV tape. Nothing has corrected the problem.

I have a fairly new Dell laptop D810, Pentium M processor 2G with 1G RAM running Windows XP. I have used Vegas on 5 other projects with no problems. I last used Vegas about 3 weeks ago and did notice a couple skips in the audio of a short capture, but nothing like the constant break up I have now.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM   #1394
Trustee

Help, cant render 1080-50i to avi!

Hi folks.. just got my FX1e and preparing for a wedding and to my horror, I cant render it to avi. The workflow is as below:
1. Capture in Vegas 6d>m2t. (works fine)
2. Place the m2t on the timeline, and render to avi. (Urgh!!!)
3. Place the rendered avi on the timeline for normal DV editing. (When will I ever get here?)

I believe Vegas has the basic cineform codec for that application but I had installed the cineform connect HD 2.1 trial previously n it expired. Right now, it says that the trial has expired. Is the only way out to buy connect HD?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #1395
Major Player

I don't use Connect HD at all but I render to Cineform intermediary using the one already in Vegas 6.0d. I put the .m2t clip to my HDV project template timeline, then render as and choose Video for Windows (.avi) and use the HDV intermediary preset. Chose the 1080 50i one if that's the one you want. It then creates an intermediary file for you to edit with, although not as good as the one you'd get using Connect HD.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...