Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM   #1426
Major Player

How to Speed up/slow down footage?

I have some footage that I would like to make slow-motion or speed-up motion in Vegas 6.0d. How do I do this? Also, I know that speed-ups faster than 12x require something extra (not sure what), but what about slow-mo?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #1427
Regular Crew

24p and Vegas - crap output help!

OK, I've been battling the 24p mode on my AG and all the strobing and such...for nothing.

I plugged the camera via s-video direct to a large monitor and the footage is sharp, detailed and vibrant.

On render out of Vegas 6, the footage is dull, blurry, lacks detail and has aweful strobing. I setup my project to 24p at correct resolution and I rendered to an AVI.

Watching the rendered AVI reveals aweful footage both on my LCD and out to svideo to the same large monitor. Am I missing something?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #1428
Major Player

Alex

In the Vegas timeline you grab the clip edge as you hold down the ctr key. This will allow you to time stretch the video either way. It is the same as trimming the clip with your mouse only adding the ctrl key. Off hand I think 50% is it in Vegas. If you require more you will need to use AE 7.0, which is really great for this, or DynaPeel "SloMotion" or a similair app.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #1429
Inner Circle

In addition to the CTRL-drag trick (400% + or -), you can insert a Velocity envelope. Right click on the clip - Insert - Velocity envelope. This will give you a further 300% (+ or -) speed change. If this isn't enough, render the clip to a new track and repeat.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM   #1430
Major Player

Do I have to buy another copy of Vegas?

Hey gang,

I'm picking up a laptop next week so that I can edit during free time at work or when the kids are out and I'm sitting around waiting for them to finish dance class.

Do I have to buy two separate copies of Vegas or can I simply install on my laptop using the same serial number as on my desktop? I'm asking because I want to keep it legal.

I'm really hoping the answer is "yes."

Thanks.

sincerely,

ian
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM   #1431
Sponsor: JET DV

The answer is YES. In fact, for network rendering you're allowed to install it on three machines connected via a network. For your case, install on both but you can only legally EDIT on one machine at a time.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1432
Sponsor: JET DV

For a more complete writeup, take a look at Vol 1 #9 of my newsletters
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM   #1433
Major Player

A little confused how to use the velocity envelope. If I want to slow down should I use +velocity or -velocity? It seems like - is slow-mo, but when I add a point, whenver the video gets to that point it starts reversing. So if a guy was doing a flip from left to right, suddenly the flip reverses to show right to left.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1434
Major Player

Thanks Ed!

Well, that's good news. Yeah, I'll only be editing on one at a time. I'll be putting any project I'm working on on a portable FW HDD and when I'm home the desktop and when I'm out and about the laptop. Back and forth as it were.

I'll still be legal.

Again, thanks.

sincerely,

ian
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #1435
Inner Circle

100% is normal speed forward;
0% is zero motion;
-100% is normal speed reverse.
Any negative values sends the video backwards.
Make sense?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM   #1436
Major Player

Okay, got it. Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1437
Regular Crew

OK, Vegas 6D update fixed problem

Maybe it was some sort of machine problem, but I found out about the Vegas 6D update. I was running 6B. Installed update and re-rendered footage to AVI and it llooks 100% now.

I'm thinking maybe there was a bug fix that included the laptop that I'm rendering on, which is a Dell Inspiron 9300.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1438
Regular Crew

Render quality

I've been rendering the same 15 seconds of footage all night and nothing I do can make the footage appear the same quality as what's on the tape.

I shot 24pa and tried every export option. When I play back at highest quality in the preview window, the preview looks better than the final render on the very same production monitor (second display). I have my vegas preview window set at the highest setting, full screen on monitor two (CRT) and it looks awesome... until I render.

When I play back using Media player the rendered AVI or even MPEG, there is lots of blur, the color is darker and there are artifacts and lack of detail, strobing and more. What's on the tape looks great.

When I say blury, I mean just motion blur around the edges especially. It's weird, because the tape isn't blury.

What could be going on for me?
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #1439

What did you shoot with?
What are your project settings?
What are you rendering to? (template)
Where are you previewing it overall? Remember that Windows Media Player has incorrect gamma settings, and additionally may not be set up well
http://www.vasst.com
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #1440
Regular Crew

envirnonment

Shot at 24pa on a Panasonic AG-DVX100a
Editing on Dell Inspiron laptop, 512mb ram, Nvidia 6800 512mb, M 2ghz. Intel.
Editing in Sony Vegas 6.
Project settings 24p are correct.
Previewing on monitor two, CRT Television, 29"
Rendered to the following:
MPEG DVD 24P, MPEG DVD INTERLACED, AVI UNCOMPRESSED, AVI NTSC STANDARD, AVI NTSC PROGRESSIVE, and so on...
it plays smooth and crisp in the preview window
On ANY render it looks like hell in:
Media player, quicktime or even nero's player through the same preview monitor.
It would be hard to imagine that my PC cannot manage the playback stream if it can play the original footage fine and edit in real time, even when dropping magic bullet on the timeline.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...