DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to maintain dual video in vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/475412-how-maintain-dual-video-vegas.html)

Steve LaPierre March 23rd, 2010 11:34 AM

How to maintain dual video in vegas

When I open a stereo Fuji Finepix Real 3d W1 .avi file in Vegas it shows two video streams and one audio, left, right video and accompanying audio. This is good, but when I edit the video and render it, it only has one video stream and the audio. How do you maintain the dual video streams in the same type as the original .avi file? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I am a newbie when using Vegas (using 9.0) and DVDA so detailed instructions or tips would help the most.

Mike Kujbida March 23rd, 2010 11:59 AM

In a nutshell, load each camera into two tracks, group, edit.
Mute one track render, mute other track, render.

For more info, check out the VegasProX 3D thread (where the above answer came from) on the Sony Vegas Pro forum.

Seth Bloombaum March 23rd, 2010 12:08 PM

Steve, I'm not familiar with this format, Fuji Finepix Real 3d W1 .avi, but, have been pretty interested in 3d and understand the principles involved.

Support for 2 video streams in an AVI container on the Encode side is gonna' be different than the Decode. To set up a render, you'd go into avi's custom render settings, ensure that the Fuji codec is available and selected, click the configure button if available, and assure that the any 2-stream options are correctly configured.

If you've done all that without good results, then either Fuji isn't exposing the encoding codec to Vegas, or is exposing it incompletely, or Vegas isn't recognizing some of the config options that Fuji is exposing. Unlikely that you can do anything directly about any of that other than to start support processes at Sony and Fuji.

The next step would be workarounds. The most obvious would be to demultiplex the streams in Vegas prior to render, then, do two renders (L and R). Then, you'll need some tool (!) that allows you to remultiplex the streams into a single avi in the codec of your choice, presumably Fuji's.

I wish I could be more specific about this codec and a multiplexer, perhaps someone has had direct experience with this and will post. I've got to imagine that there is a 3D video forum somewhere where people are editing in this codec.

***edit***
Ah, Mike beat me to it. I reviewed the thread he referenced, some good discussion there. The real question is what delivery codec? Then, you can figure out a way to get there.

Steve LaPierre March 23rd, 2010 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try out what Seth suggested. The other forum that Mike referred to seems to be addressing the use of two separate camera videos and combining them which is somewhat different than what I am trying to do. I know very little about the process, and even less about the avi format. I am thinking the video was recorded in an interlaced or possibly page-flip/over-under/above-below format. Maybe my first question should be how to get Vegas to tell me what the format is. I cannot follow the Vegas documentation to understand how to do simply video editing and have had no luck finding a book specifically for Vegas, a printed manual is so much easier to work with in my opinion. I have created some Blu-ray videos of my still photos and handycam videos but it is an exercise in frustration to get something that works. Anyway what Seth wrote is a good starting point but if you can tell me how to determine what the actual format is that would help a lot. The Vegas program surpised me and opened the avi file and displayed both left and right streams so it seems to recognize the file type, a pleasant experience. Thanks again for the suggestions. I was hoping that this subject would be covered in the 3d stereophotography section of this forum but it felt more appropriate to post it here in the Vegas threads.

Adam Stanislav March 23rd, 2010 02:38 PM

I think you need to read the Bororo 3D thread right here on DVInfo. :)