Proper DVD frame rate? hyper real and 30fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Proper DVD frame rate? hyper real and 30fps

I encoded some footage to DVD and turns out, it looks like it's 60fps. I read somewhere that 29.970i is actually somewhere near 60fps. I was thinking that the 29.970 wouldn't look as 'fast'.

What I want to do is encode a DVD where it 'looks' like it's somewhere around 30fps or so. The 60fps looks too much like hyper real to me. How would I go about adjusting the framerate output in Vegas to get it around 30fps or so?
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Gardner View Post
I read somewhere that 29.970i is actually somewhere near 60fps.
It is 30 fps (actually, 30000 frames per 1001 seconds, which comes to roughly 29.97 fps). Each frame consists of two fields, so 30 fps (frames per second) is 60 fields per second.

The letter 'i' means it is interlaced, which is where the two fields per frame come in.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm... When I export to .wmv using the same frame rate setting, it looks more like the slower film thing. Though when it's exported to DVD with the same frame rate setting, it looks more like hyper real. I'm not sure what's going on.
Jared Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Odds are that the WMV encode is progressive while the MPEG-2 encode is interlaced.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...