How much memory is enough? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How much memory is enough?

I am looking to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit running Vegas 8.1 on an I7 860. I know that the 32 bit version uses only 2 Gig of RAM. With the extended size of the operating system and application, what would be an acceptable amount of RAM to utilize the benefit of a 64 bit system?
I have read a lot of complaints about Vegas 9, so that is why I am resistant to upgrade to Vegas 9. Should I move to 8.1?

This system never touches the internet. It is for Vegas editing and DVD Architect only.

Last edited by Chris Barnes; April 7th, 2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to enter additional comments
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

With 8.1, I could not print to DV tape. It seemed to edit fine but I had some rendering issues and could not output to my deck. When 9.0-64bit came out, I tried it and it both rendered fine and would output to my deck fine. 9.0 seems much more stable than 8.1 on the 64-bit side.

Personally, 9.0 has simply worked for what I do. Yes, I know some people have had some issues with it but can only say I've not seen those issues.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Edward,

I do not have to print to DV tape, only DVD using DVD Architect. I edit standard DV, HD, and AVCHD(Cineform conversion) The AVCHD rendering is what forced my hand to upgrade, as it takes so long. As I see dual and Triple channel memory, I don't know how much memory is used for overhead in a 64 bit operating system and how much will be used by Vegas.
Chris Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

My 64-bit machine has 4 Gig. But memory is so cheap it won't hurt to get more.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...