editing HD vs SD footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

editing HD vs SD footage

I have finally gotten comfortable editing in Vegas, and love it. May thanks to those who have helped me over the past year. Now am considering a move to HD, and wanted to ask how difficult the transition to editing in HD would be? I am in the midst of a long running commercial contract which may last another 6-12 mos, and when the client calls for a shoot, he is accustomed to getting the finished product within a week. If the learning curve is too steep, I may be better off to sideline it until the contract is complete. Looking for any thoughts or guidance, thank you.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Bill

I actually shoot in HD but transcode back to SD purely for the time reason!!!

To give you a rough idea on just render times on a DuoCore 'puter... Rendering a 10 minute clip in SD (or HD transcoded to SD) takes roughly 5 minutes on my machine (but it obviously also will depend on what transitions/titles/overlays you have)

The same clip on the time line in AVCHD or HDV 1440x1080 takes a least 80 minutes or more to render so for me the main advantage is being able to edit and render out quickly. I do weddings so a full wedding would seriously cramp my time management if I edited and rendered in HD!! The bottom line is that you can future-proof yourself with a new HD camera but still continue supplying and editing in SD!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great input Chris, thank you. I was hoping to provide better quality, but if the times are that different, I am probably going to need to stick with what I have. Can't afford the time slippage. When the client is ready to shoot (usually on short notice, of course) I usually have 10-15 clips at 3-5 minutes each which I need to edit and deliver within a week.
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...