Vegas Pro 9.0d released - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #76
Sponsor: JET DV

Mark, which version of Vegas? If you're using a 32-bit version of Vegas, it doesn't matter how much ram you may or may not have. It sees less than 2Gig anyway. Lowering the RAM preview amount *CAN* help - give it a shot. Drop it to something like 12. You can reset it back afterwards.

Mike, I don't know exactly how many there are but I do know that lot's of bugs are caught in the beta process. I also wonder when these vocal issues are introduced, what percentage actually have this issue? Is it 2% but a very vocal 2% with 98% happily using the update? Or is it 10%, or 50%, or 90%? I've read these posts but also read many other posts that indicate they love the update and it's FASTER for them!
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #77
New Boot

using 64 bit 9d.works fine on 9b. its not ram preview its sonys plug in.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #78
Major Player

I'm wondering if we can somehow find the common factor here? There seems to be many people having problems with 9d and almost as many having no problems at all and a few noting improvements.

I remember once upgrading my o/s from Windows 98 to Windows ME using the up-grade i.e. run ME installation over 98, I had all kind of problems, but wiping the drive and doing a clean install of ME proved a great success - maybe this is a problem for some poeple that installing over the exist installation is problematic. I note that a few happy 9d-ers mentioned that they did a clean install.

As I am mid-project right now I am not going to upgrade to 9d yet, and when I do I will go for a clean install
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #79
Trustee

Philip, You may have something with your thought. There is another thread about a procedure to reset to the default settings with some claiming that fixed their problems. It's possible that 9.0d is picking up inappropriate setting from the previously installed version. If so, a clean installation might avoid these problems.
Old April 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #80
Major Player

I wonder if beta testers are required to make clean installs with each upgrade. I've been a beta tester for my animation software for years now and there was a period when we all had to make clean installs every time we got a new version to test. If that would be the case here, I'm not surprised that beta testers missed some of these bugs and also would explain why they have been continuously working throughout these upgrades with few of the problems regular users complain about.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
I wonder if beta testers are required to make clean installs with each upgrade.
It is highly recommended.
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #82
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, I find 9d about the same...preview performance might be a tad faster. A couple of projects have opened slowly, but nothing to really complain about.
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #83
Regular Crew

FYI, Sony has acknowledged a "slow load" problem and is working a fix. I've tried the default open technique (ctrl/shift/open VP9.0d) and defragged all of my drives. That helped some and loads are now faster. However, still taking a little too long. Hope the fix comes soon.
Randy
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:32 AM   #84
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Mike, I don't know exactly how many there are but I do know that lot's of bugs are caught in the beta process. I also wonder when these vocal issues are introduced, what percentage actually have this issue? Is it 2% but a very vocal 2% with 98% happily using the update? Or is it 10%, or 50%, or 90%? I've read these posts but also read many other posts that indicate they love the update and it's FASTER for them!
Edward, I'm sure that the beta testers did catch a lot of bugs in the testing process but I often wonder how issues like the really slow load times in 9.0d or other often-used methods/procedures such as custom render templates not showing up or the media generator bug get past them.
This is why I'm thinking that they need more beta testers to get a wider range of users and hardware.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:14 AM   #85

Mike, remember there sometimes things can show up between the last beta version and the release version. Can't say for sure if that's the case in this situation but it does happen. As I said, there's LOTS of unknown variables.
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Edward, if that is indeed the case, then shame on Sony for making changes after the product has been tested without more testing to confirm that they didn't break something else.
My assumption is that the majority of users are not having any problems.
However, the folks that are having issues are having, IMO, severe ones.
Unfortunately, with the wide variety of systems out there and who knows what apps on those systems, troubleshooting for Sony is a nightmare.
The slow load solution that I posted here the other day worked for me but not other folks who tried it.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM   #87

(Mike, this is directed at everyone - not you)

I'm just listing possibilities above. I don't know the exact reason behind any particular issue so I can't say any of the above is the actual case. Just pointing out that there's lots of variables and it's easy to make assumptions and complain about the beta testers without having the full story.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM   #88
Major Player

Mike (and all) browsing through the posts it appears that slow load times have been reported by people opening existing projects (.veg files) presumably created in 9.0c or earlier. I wonder if the beta testers are opening such files? and if so of what size.

If creating projects in 9.0d (as I suspect they may be emphasising more in beta testing) you may not notice a time difference, I have to say I am not impressed at the time it takes to load my current project in 9.0c 32bit - so far 15mins of HDV 1440x1080 footage with a handful of .jpgs and opening titles taking around 7mins to load on a high spec PC
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Good Afternoon,

Well, I have had a terribly unproductive day, Thank you Vegas. I love this program but sometimes could Just scream, kick the floor and am glad no hammer is in the room!!

I had 9D 64 bit on my primary workstation, I tried using it to render to a m2v file, it could just not get through it!!! Several times it could not open specific streams!!!!!

I give!! I went back to 9c and be darned if it would not work now either. I spent time going through the station making sure it was all pristine as can be without a reistal of the everything!! No go either!!

I uninstalled both c 32 bit and d 64 bit from my computer, Reinstalled 9c 32 bit and it purred like a kitten!!!!

I was wondering if those people that are having success with this release are running:

1. On xp, 7, or Vista

2. Running on a fresh instal of operating system

3. dedicated editing work station

To me it has so many errors I am thinking I need to totally wipe my workstation, lean it down, only have essential software (is howe mine is at present).

A year ago I went though this process and upon reinstalling each program I found that 'Frontpage"

of all things was the offender on my machine!!!

So I wonder if one needs to go through that with this new release????
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM   #90
Major Player

My Vegas 9d, for some inexplicable reason, reverted back to slow load for me this morning, so I found another work around to open it as fast as it had been doing before: I opened a project by directly double clicking on the project's Veg. icon (instead of the Desktop's Logo). After I tried switching between projects through the Vegas File menu and found all my projects switching from one to another almost instantly, I closed Vegas and opened it with the desktop logo and it went fast -- fixed!

But actually before I did that, I tried another way of opening Vegas: I dragged the project's logo on top of the desktop logo and it opened really fast as well. I hope this might help someone out there -- if it does, it would be nice to hear some feedback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...