is Sony Vegas a good all-rounder software? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM   #61
Sponsor: JET DV

There are tons of threads here talking about various issues various users are having. However, not ALL users are having those issues. I understand you are. I also understand I am not. For some issues, there are workarounds. For others, Sony is working on a fix. For others, perhaps Sony needs to be notified about them. But various issues are discussed all the time and not just ones that show advantages to Vegas over the competition.

What I was referring to was repeatedly beating specific problems into the ground and repeatedly indicating "x" NLE would be better. Say it once and let it go. Vegas is a great NLE that has some issues. The others are also great NLEs that have some issues. Be greatful that Vegas DOES list the issues it fixed. Many others just "fix" some issues but don't tell you which ones they are!
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

It seems like everyone has a different experience!! I used Version 7E for a long time..not even a hint of an error and it performed every single time as expected and never gave me one moment of problems.( I was only using DV-AVI SD files on the version )

After changing to AVCHD cameras I went up to the first Version 9 ..again not even a wimper!! To date it has performed perfectly with SD, AVCHD transcoded to HDV and raw AVCHD. Not even a hint of an error at any time !!! The only tiny issue was with the text media generator which seems to change all text in previous events to the current text (I just create a new event to solve the issue)

Am I just lucky???? I read all these posts about red squares and crashes and failed to render and to honest I just cannot relate to them cos they have never happened to me.

Both 7 and 9 do a great job and continue to do so ...I MUST be lucky or have the right setup!!!

Chris
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Hey Chris

Must be a lucky name!! Seriously I have run Vegas since Version 5 (I skipped Version 8 only) and have NEVER had any sort of crash or issue. During that entire period I had Win XP Pro so maybe Vegas likes the OS best????

I just load it, edit, render and then close when I'm done!! That's it!! I must admit I had to "tweak" 9 and not use the "External Monitor" option as the quality was dismal so what I have it the standard preview window undocked on my 22" monitor and dragged over to my 19" and physically resized (only had to do it the first time ..after that Vegas knows that the preview lives in the 19" screen!!! I keep it at full screen and best quality BTW)

Just for interest I'm running a simple DuoCore 2.2GHZ and only 3GB of ram so I really have no reason to offer to others having issues!!

Chris
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
But the problem is, the host has to make money to support the website. That creates a need to filter, but a fine line and a strong temptation to outright censor. Guests and members pick up on that. When it approaches, or you feel it's approaching the latter, you could be asking yourself why bother to contribute? And maybe the host would prefer you didn't anyway, or doesn't feel that you are contributing. I don't feel that way, but I recognize the sentiment.
Which is why I haven't closed this topic yet - but it's been close a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The only tiny issue was with the text media generator which seems to change all text in previous events to the current text (I just create a new event to solve the issue)
This was a known issue in, I believe, 9.0a that has since been resolved.
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hey Chris

Must be a lucky name!! Seriously I have run Vegas since Version 5 (I skipped Version 8 only) and have NEVER had any sort of crash or issue. During that entire period I had Win XP Pro so maybe Vegas likes the OS best????

I just load it, edit, render and then close when I'm done!! That's it!! I must admit I had to "tweak" 9 and not use the "External Monitor" option as the quality was dismal so what I have it the standard preview window undocked on my 22" monitor and dragged over to my 19" and physically resized (only had to do it the first time ..after that Vegas knows that the preview lives in the 19" screen!!! I keep it at full screen and best quality BTW)

Just for interest I'm running a simple DuoCore 2.2GHZ and only 3GB of ram so I really have no reason to offer to others having issues!!

Chris
I think it helps that we have used it a long time and recognize limitations and ways to minimize load on the system while still attaining results twe are looking for. That is why I convert to Cineform .avi format for HD material. Cineform actually corrects some issues with my 5D footage in the process too, conforming it to other footage.

Perrone is looking for something that he can slap any footage on to and have worry free real time preview. I have to agree that Vegas doesn't provide that, but I have my work around that I am satisfied with. Its worth it to me because I love the interface.

Edius looks very nice and clean on my system too, but I am just not into changing over at this time. I had considered going that way a few years back, but heard, perhaps inaccurately, that there was also some concern about Edius continuing in the market place at one point, and updating would become an issue. Did not feel there was a concern on the Vegas side.
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #66

I think this topic has now been beaten into the ground. We'll now close this one. If there's any specific things began in this thread that need to be discussed, please start a new post. I don't mind discussing issues that Vegas has but, please, let's keep it friendly.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I have my doubts that Sony reads this forum.
I can assure you in no uncertain terms that Sony does indeed read this forum persistently.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...