How to make an anamorphic SD uncompressed quicktime from HD material? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

How to make an anamorphic SD uncompressed quicktime from HD material?

Hi,

I need to provide a client with an uncompressed SD Quicktime file of my footage that is shot in HD 1280x720.

I choose save as quicktime, uncompressed template and set 720x576 frame size right? But what is the correct pixel aspect ratio for this?

Setting 1,333 leaves black borders on top and bottom, setting 1,457 leaves black borders on the sides. (These are the two Pixel aspect ratios I found by googling but didnt get a definite answer).

I also remember reading that HD widescreen and at least DVD widescreen differ slightly. When making a widescreen DVD it leaves slight borders on left an right, this would mean that 1,457 is the correct Pixel aspect ratio for anamorphic SD PAL widescreen?

Thanks!

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What happens if you set the frame size to 1024x576 and then set the PAR to 1.0?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think the pixel aspect ratio you want is 1.4568. You will get bars on your video because of the difference in aspect ratio (Overall ratio, not the pixel aspect). PAL pixel aspect is 1.0926 I believe, If it has to be rendered in SD either you have to have the bars or Pan n scan it (crop it to fit, the output aspect) which will cause some of the image to be lost. The other thing, of course, is anamorphic. If this is what you need... it pretty much medium specific.. if it is going to DVD and they want it in anamorphic format, you will want to use a PAL Widescreen setting in Vegas. Once the video is put into the DVD authoring program, they can configure the widescreen video to be encoded as anamorphic. This, I believe is the same pixel size but with a pixel aspect of 1.4568

Edit: I'm assuming PAL here, let me know if otherwise, also your source video is 720p, which is 1.00 pixel aspect, not 1.333. 1080p is, however. But the pixel aspect ratio of your source video is usually configured already and you should not need to change it really. You (should) only need to worry about your OUTPUT aspect and pixel aspect.
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi

They need to put it on Digital Beta tape from their Avid editing machine. They told me to do the SD conversion so they dont have to do it (it would cost extra for my client).

Yes, sorry I didnt mention that I work in PAL land.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Manson View Post
I think the pixel aspect ratio you want is 1.4568.
When I set it to 1.4568 Vegas automatically rounds it up to 1.457, is this supposed to happen?
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

According to my calculation it makes a difference of less than one pixel, but I will defer to better judgement if someone says otherwise
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...