Neoscene and Streamclip Universe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Neoscene and Streamclip Universe

I tried different editors to see if there is an alternative to the problems i have been having with Vegas and .MOV files (streamclip rendered) and neoscene trial running out. I love vegas and used to it after 6 years or so. cant leave it.

It seems bizzare that having plunked all that money for a new canon dslr camera i am unable to edit files after my neoscene trial expires tomorrow.
tried mpeg streamclip but vegas crashes on the quicktime.qts module every single time passed the 3 minute mark of video.

The whole of the internet has not provided me with an alternative to those 2 flavours. One is 100 bucks and the other one crashes in vegas (along with jerky video).

System is 3 years old, and money is tight so now I look at this beautiful video that i cant edit without headaches......
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Can the camera output something other than MOV so Vegas doesn't have to use QuickTime?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm thinking of getting DVFilm Epic 1 (for a DSLR that I do not yet have). It is a smaller investment than other tools and might help solve your issue.

(After posting this, I found several other references to the Epic 1 product here on DVINFO.)

Last edited by Chip Gallo; April 26th, 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add something
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

unfortunately the canon dslr cameras only output quicktime (mac friendly) movies.

true, epic 1 is another alternative but the trial i got for that looked goofy for my taste. i am not much for the proxy approach. for my eyes it didnt compare to neoscene or streamclip. unfortunately anything that works great is MAC oriented. even streamclip.

DSLR has started this new revolution and all our NLEs on the PC side are just stuttering.....Vegas came up with a few updates that did nothing. Oh they said, go buy neoscene.....They should start calling it "Sony-but you also need neoscene-Vegas".
(only for dslr material, all other stuff still works)
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey George,

For Epic I, did you try the Full size Proxy size setting? It uses 1920x1080 4:2:2 Epic files that should be almost exactly the same quality as the original h.264 file. The half and quarter size proxies are for slower computers but gives those computers the ability to edit h.264 at realtime. When you are finished editing or even in the middle of editing, you can switch back to the original h.264 file with no quality loss at all from the original DSLR files. Not even transcoding can do that.

Also, Epic I will help stabilize Vegas 9 when using quicktime files. It's been tested should over 400 clips in the timeline with no crashing and projects over 10 minutes.

There is a version of Mpegstreamclip for PC that is supposed to work the same as the MAC version one.

Mac users still don't get realtime playback of Canon SLR footage on a MAC unless you have a very high end computer. They generally have to use transcoding or proxy editing as most PC users.

Best Regards,
Andy Olson
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

hi andy, no i didnt really try the full res on the proxy. i followed the website steps and got that blotchy view with the proxy written over it. will give it a try for the full res.
by the way didnt want to dish the product. i applaud anyone who gives an alternative to the monopoly it seems neoscene has on this format for now.
the mpegstreaclim does have the PC version of the app which is the one i tried. unfortunately the quicktime movies it generates crash vegas after a few clips are on the timeline.
regards
g
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes, those, and a few others around are your current choices. Accusing Cineform of holding a monopoly isn't fair, and is a naive accusation. Cineform has done a great service to the film making community. Early on when HDV was a disaster to edit on most of our systems, they produced a solution. I railed, as you did in your post, against it. I argued that editing systems should be designed to edit all file formats. Eventually, I bought Cineform, and I have been very happy about the Vegas/Cineform partnership in my system ever since. Cineform endlessly updates its codecs and programs, with modest if any update charges, and I for one, am happy they are out there filling this need for a stable intermediate codec.

Your accusation is strange too, in that many NLE's have their own proprietary intermediate codecs. In fact, an early Cineform codec was part of earlier Vegas Pro offerings.

You my friend, will have to decide if you are going contribute to help maintain this valuable product by buying it and supporting the company that has invested in producing or continue to struggle with a codec that wasn't meant for editing. Its up to you.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Take the plunge and buy Cineform.
Problem solved.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Zabetas View Post
hi andy, no i didnt really try the full res on the proxy. i followed the website steps and got that blotchy view with the proxy written over it. will give it a try for the full res.
by the way didnt want to dish the product.
regards
g
No problem. I would give it another go by removing the proxy folder and setting the Epic resolution to Full or One-Half. The choice depends on the speed of your computer. A future release may "profile" your system and make an intelligent guess.

Anyway with Epic you can skip over all that tedious transcoding or file swapping and totally eliminate transcode losses (Epic renders off the original H.264 files). You can toss the retro, tape-like workflow and start editing right away.

Problem solved! ;-)
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

As a Cineform user, Epic has a lot of interest for me--if for nothing else, to get quick projects out. I will be buying it, to see how well it handles color correction and other filter and editing additions. But with Cineform, I am guessing, benefits accrue to editing features and color space improvements, that likely won't be there in Epic. We shall see.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Zabetas View Post
unfortunately the canon dslr cameras only output quicktime (mac friendly) movies.

true, epic 1 is another alternative but the trial i got for that looked goofy for my taste. i am not much for the proxy approach. for my eyes it didnt compare to neoscene or streamclip. unfortunately anything that works great is MAC oriented. even streamclip.

DSLR has started this new revolution and all our NLEs on the PC side are just stuttering.....Vegas came up with a few updates that did nothing. Oh they said, go buy neoscene.....They should start calling it "Sony-but you also need neoscene-Vegas".
(only for dslr material, all other stuff still works)
a agree that big companies should make editing software that can actually edit. After 2 years of DSLR video and so many AVCHD format cameras maybe we could edit- i mean the software is not freeware, the price is quite high.
Mitja Popovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi George,
I just posted a new post regarding the same issue.
I think I got it solved (Vegas does not crash anymore)
I notice neoscene has a new update of the v5.0. I uninstall the old one and installed the new one. then i deleted all the the converted files and reconverted with the new neoscene. now everything is OK and no crashes.
see if it works for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...