DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Firewire frustration... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/477691-firewire-frustration.html)

Gerald Webb April 26th, 2010 11:28 PM

Firewire frustration...

Hi to all,
please, anyone, help me stop going grey.
64bit Win 7 Firewire wont work, in Vegas, Blackmagic, Cineform, Nero, all dead. I can control the HV20- start stop fast forward etc, but it captures nothing ( black screen in Vegas, device error in Cineform).
Have updated drivers, tried outdated Legacy drivers, to no avail.
Have searched Google and came up with zip. My "google fu" is apparently weak.
The most frustrating thing is it works fine on the XP boot. Im just sick of rebooting to capture stuff.

If there was an icon with a man begging for help, it would go here.
:)

Ian Stark April 28th, 2010 12:56 AM

Gerald, you could try installing the legacy driver for your firewire card. No promise that this will work but I think it's well worth a try. I believe it has worked for others but not sure about the 64-bit aspect in your case.

Right click on 'Computer' ->Manage->Device Manager->IEE1394 Bus Host Controllers->select your card->right click->Update driver software->Browse my computer for driver software->Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->select the driver with (LEGACY) after it's name->Next->Finish.

Apologies if any of these steps aren't exactly right. Good luck.

Chris Soucy April 28th, 2010 01:34 AM

Hi Gerald.................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1520534)
where are all the rocket scientists?

We're all sitting back and watching you early adopters get cut to ribbons on the bleeding edge of technology, that's where we are, can you blame us?

I personally won't touch that stuff for another year, till it has worked out the inevitable myriad bugs that happen EVERY TIME they bring out a new operating system/ platform.

Best advice I can offer - buy an el cheapo XP system ( gotta be a dime a dozen now) and hook it into your home network, do the capture on that to a network drive and edit it on your new 2, 4 or 8 pot screamer.

Hey, if you can't beat 'em..............

CS

Gerald Webb April 28th, 2010 03:32 AM

thanks guys,
Ian, yeah, already tried that. no go.
Chris, yes mate, im laughing at me too, I try to keep right up with the latest gear, and there's always some reason I need to keep an XP boot on my system, I just cant get away from it, I feel like Al Pacino..
" Just when I think I'm out, they drag me back in".
Not that I mind XP, I actually love it, so snappy and all, I just want 64bit speed.
I just cant believe that I'm the only one to have this problem.

Ian Stark April 28th, 2010 03:37 AM

How about trying a post on a board that's specific for your camera, just to see if other users have had the problem with Win7/64bit and video capture. Worth a shot!

Willard Hill April 28th, 2010 09:35 AM

I have no answer, but you are not alone with this problem.

I am running a Dell XPS 9000 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and like you had camera control but no capture. The Legacy Driver fix did work for me, so I don't know what other options if any there are. There is at least one thread about this on the XH-A1 forum. I don't have an XH-A1, but read all I could find on the problem. (I use a Sony HVR-A1U to capture HDV from tapes shot at 60i on an XL-H1), but it didn't work with other cameras as well.

Chris Barcellos April 28th, 2010 11:07 AM

Okay, I am going to state an obvious thing, that some of us sometimes forget when we are using our HDV cams to capture from. I do it with the HV20 some times. When I shoot HDV on the HV20, I occasionally want to capture it as SD DV. You have to select that in the menu, effectively disabling HDV output to the firewire. Easy process. But when the next capture session comes around I forget to change it back. Most of the capture systems that capture HDV are HDV only (Vegas, Cineform, are my experiences) and when the HV20 is set to SD DV output, it reacts the way your are describing. Just check and make sure that setting is right. That may be all that is wrong.

Dale Guthormsen April 28th, 2010 11:26 AM

Chris,

right on with that post!!!!!

However, I did have this problem on all thrre computers, Ultimately I had to find a partiular haupage driver, down load it and now all programs work perfectly!!!

Also, I have had one capture device interfer with other capture devices. An example of this is scenalyzer, a great little program that can cause greif outside of its own little world!!!

Seems it NEVER ENDS!!

Dale

Willard Hill April 28th, 2010 06:37 PM

Chris,

Yes, I have done that too , but this was not the case with the Windows 7 capture issue that I had. I definitely cannot capture HDV with the Windows 7 firewire drivers. I agree that your point is the first thing one should check out when having HDV capture problems, it is easy to overlook.