DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How much extra memory is used (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/477786-how-much-extra-memory-used.html)

Chris Barnes April 28th, 2010 01:51 PM

How much extra memory is used

I am building a new system and plan on using Windows 7 64 bit and also Vegas 64 bit. I understand that the 64 bit version allows more than 2 Gig of memory to be used. I assume that the 64bit operating system will use more memory than the 32 bit system, so is 4 Gig at 64 bit the same as 2 Gig at 32 bit? What is the amount of memory required to start taking advantage of the 64 bit system?

Buba Kastorski April 28th, 2010 05:23 PM

it's not the amount of memory that OS can use, 64 bit os will use whatever you have, well depending on OS,
7 Professional and up -192Gb
7 Home Premium - 16Gb
7 Home Basic - 8Gb
it's about how much memory application can utilize, i have 12Gb, but never seen system going over 4 Gb and Vegas .exe going over 500Mb

Chris Barnes April 28th, 2010 06:58 PM

It has been a while since I worked with machine code, but I thought that a 64 bit system would process a 64 bit word. If that is the way it is processed, then a 64 bit system would use twice as much memory as a 32 bit system.

I don't know if that is how it works in today's system. I am planning on purchasing 4 Gig at this time for a 64 bit system and wanted to be sure that I will have a greater capability as a 32 bit system with 2 Gig of Ram.

Adam Stanislav April 28th, 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barnes (Post 1520905)
If that is the way it is processed, then a 64 bit system would use twice as much memory as a 32 bit system.

Not necessarily. The 64-bit system uses 64-bit registers, but it can use 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit memory integers. Under Windows the C (and C++) programming languages use a 32-bit "int" and a 32-bit "long", so any C/C++ program that was originally written for the 32-bit system and was simply recompiled for 64 bits will most likely use 32-bit memory variables for most of its data.

And if the sample code in the Vegas plug-in kit is any indication of the code within Vegas, it does use 16-bit and 32-bit memory variables.

Chris Barnes April 29th, 2010 05:48 AM

Thanks, Again, I said it's been a long time since I worked with code at that level.

One other question, this computer will never touch the internet, as it is for editing only. Which version of Windows 7 do I need to buy? Are there capabilites in the Professional and Ultimate versions that I will need for editing in Vegas?

Buba Kastorski April 29th, 2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barnes (Post 1521048)
Are there capabilites in the Professional and Ultimate versions that I will need for editing in Vegas?

there are none :)

Ron Cooper May 1st, 2010 07:16 PM

Chris, I am curious when you say your editing PC will never touch the internet, as I also try & adopt this approach. But I find with all the upgrades etc. it becomes inevitable that you have to connect, even if occasionally.

Then the fun starts, so you have to have a browser, antivirus, media player, pdf reader, various plugins & now with all their endless updates !

I only plug in the internet cable as necessary for these but it seems almost a daily chore.

Now only five minutes ago after I started to write this, I booted up my editing machine to save waiting, & opened Firefox to download Avid DNxHD after reading another post. It then immediately starting downloading an up date before it would open, so I carried on typing this. When I turned around a minute later, yes, it had hanged, - no mouse , no nothing, - not even Cntrl/Alt/Del., so I had to use the power switch. Now when I turn it on, it won't even get to the BIOS ! All that happens is the HDD going round in a loop, - GREAT ! All I wanted to do was download Avid DNxHD ! So now it does not look good for any editing this week !

For goodness sake, I'm stymied again. - I just don't figure how you guys can make a living out of all this. - If this business was like carpentry you'd spend 95% of your time sharpening chisels !!

Should we all get Macs ?? !!

RonC

Edward Troxel May 2nd, 2010 06:14 AM

Generally speaking, why SHOULD an editing machine touch the internet? You build this extremely powerful machine to edit - why does it need to be on the internet? Use the cheap - less powerful - machine for browsing and e-mail.

I tend to download updates on the internet machine, copy them over to a portable drive or pen drive or even burn a CD or DVD to carry to the editing machine. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet to get updates.

Chris Barnes May 2nd, 2010 01:15 PM

The Internet

Edward,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I use a flash drive or cd to transfer any software to my editing system. I run the software through the virus scanning software prior to loading into the editing system. I agree with Edward - there is too much money (at least to me!) invested in my editing system to take a chance of losing the data I am editing at the time. Even though a large portion of my editing is Church services, I don't want to disappoint the elderly by missing a Sunday service.