DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   JPEG shimmer after render to DVDA (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/477814-jpeg-shimmer-after-render-dvda.html)

Brian Luce April 29th, 2010 04:07 AM

JPEG shimmer after render to DVDA

I have some 7d stills in a video in Vegas 9c. Render to mpeg2 and burn to SD DVD in DVDA and certain jpegs shimmer. For example, a chrome stove is shimmering wildly, so is a spanish tile roof. Other shots not at all. Seems to be fine detail? All are panned and cropped. Tried it with "reduce interlace flicker" checked and unchecked, still shimmers. Properties set to progressive.

Is there a fix?

Mike Kujbida April 29th, 2010 04:17 AM

How large (in pixels) are the images?
My experience has been that the shimmer happens if the images are too large.
Unless I'm doing really deep zooms, I make sure that they are no more than twice my project size which, for SD NTSC, would be 1440 x 960.

edit: if it's possible, put up one of the images for us to play with.

Brian Luce April 29th, 2010 05:26 AM

I was wondering about that too, the rescaling. 3456x2304

Edward Troxel April 29th, 2010 06:22 AM

When you have fine lines in an image, that will happen as the image is interlaced. The fine line going across the interlace lines create the shimmering effect. For example, a brick wall will almost always give the shimmer once interlaced. Turn on "Reduce Interlace Flicker" to help with that. If it still happens, adding a slight blur might also help.

Mike Kujbida April 29th, 2010 07:05 AM

Definitely scale it down as that will help by throwing out some of the fine detail.
A small amount of Gaussian Blur can help too.
Adjust Horizontal to 0.0 and Vertical at 0.001 to 0.003

Paul Cascio April 29th, 2010 07:16 AM

Try converting to PNG also.

Brian Luce April 29th, 2010 09:52 AM

What would be a good resolution to scale to? I've already tried right click>check reduce interlace flicker. It might of helped a tiny bit.

Edward Troxel April 29th, 2010 11:18 AM

Generally speaking, double the video resolution is a good starting point. This will still give you room to zoom in but will be much smaller than the original images.

Terry Esslinger April 29th, 2010 03:40 PM

If you are scanning your images originally is it a good idea to scan at the twice project resolution (1440 x 760) and save as .png. My scanner also gives an option to save as interlaced or not? Which is better?

Sam Houchins II April 29th, 2010 06:18 PM

I've had this problem several times in the past, and with all the trial and errors, i think i got a sprinkling of supersampling and motion blur via the video bus trak to solve my shimmering. It was awhile ago, but i think that was the last thing i tried to an aceptable result. It dramatically increases render times, so use the envelope to surgically apply it only where needed. I think the motion blur was only a relatively small amount too. It's been awhile, so i hope i'm not steering you wrong.

Brian Luce April 29th, 2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II (Post 1521297)
I've had this problem several times in the past, and with all the trial and errors, i think i got a sprinkling of supersampling and motion blur via the video bus trak to solve my shimmering.

Thanks, what's the procedure for that?

Sam Houchins II April 29th, 2010 07:26 PM

ctrl-shift-b reveals the video bus track
or
File-Edit-View-Insert-Tools-Options-Help; then check the video bus track option.
It will appear as the bottom track
Right clicking on empty space on the Video Bus Track or its header will reveal some options, including access to the insert/remove envelope drop down menu, where motion blur and supersampling will be available.