Quicktime File Problem - Vegas 8.0a - Windows 7 64-Bit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quicktime File Problem - Vegas 8.0a - Windows 7 64-Bit

I just got a new computer. Needed something with more power to handle the T2i content I'm building. The Toshiba laptop I was using just wasn't cutting it.

I've loaded Quicktime onto it, and the the T2i files play great IN QUICKTIME....but in Vegas all I get is sound. The picture is just black.

I've looked online, but I can't seem to find any codec or newer version of QT. Is there something I'm missing? All other formats I work with do fine. My .mov files from the camera are the problem.
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You either need Vegas 9.0d or an OLDER version of Quicktime.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I was afraid of that. Can't try anything until this evening, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

On Mac systems where I can't use the DSLR footage in its native form, MPEG Streamclip seems to handle converting them fairly well...I haven't tried it for any PC edit jobs yet...
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just hate having to add that extra step just to work with my content. I've never had to do it before, so I'd rather not have to start now. I've got the CS4 Master Collection with Premier, but I hate that program. I'm able to use the Adobe Media Encoder program (which is awesome by the way) to convert to H.264 MP4 files, and they look great, but I don't want to have to give up further HDD space just to store them. I mean I can see just using them, getting the final cut of the project, then deleting them (because I won't delete my original MOV files), but still. I should be able to shoot a clip, put the card in the PC, drag/drop the file to the HDD, and open it right up and begin working.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Contributor

You might look at dvfilm epic (dvfilm.com/epic) so you can edit those files in real time, direct, without transcoding.

However if you have QT 7.6.6 you will have to revert to 7.6.5 or earlier, or upgrade to Vegas 9.0d. There is more info on the Epic quick start guide, DVFilm Epic I Quick Start
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, I just got my hands on 9.0d, so I'm going to try that and see if it fixes my problem. I just got a new machine and a new camera, so I may as well follow suit with the software. I'd really rather be able to work with the original files, so if this fixes it, then thread solved! LoL
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

9.0d worked like a charm! Still a little glitchy, such as the video monitor just going to black after a while when dealing with MOV files. I think it depends on how much I switch back and forth between programs. If nothing else is running, it's great. Thanks a lot folks!
Kent Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...