DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   9.0c = can't render to xvid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/478611-9-0c-cant-render-xvid.html)

Phil Gosselin May 12th, 2010 08:41 PM

9.0c = can't render to xvid

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Many times in the past I used Vegas (instead of VirtualDub) to render projects in Xvid.

I would usually click on Render as and do the following:

1: Choose "Video for Windows" in the Save as Type field
2: Select "Uncompressed" in the Template field
3: Click on the custom button
4: In the "Video Format" field I would choose Xvid and hit the configure button which would allow me to set things to my liking.

I'm not sure but the last time I tried this I think it was in Vegas 8 hence the title of this thread.

Now in the "Video Format" field Xvid doesn't appear anymore?

Anybody knows why?

Thanks

Phil

***Edit***

I've just tried to drop an Xvid file in Vegas and it only recognizes the audio part. It is as if Xvid was not installed on my computer, which is not the case of course.

Take a look at this screencap taken from a YouTube video and another from my instance of Vegas, the two don't match at all. I have Xvid, DIVX and Fraps installed buut they are nowhere to be found in my "video format" options...

Gerald Webb May 12th, 2010 09:47 PM

Hey Phil, are you now in the land of 64 bit?
only because, for me anyway, I could never get Div X to work on my 64 bit side, on my 32 bit XP boot it works like a charm.
Sorry not to be more helpful, might be something similar though.
cheers.

Phil Gosselin May 13th, 2010 03:46 AM

Hi Gerald,

Indeed I am and I was afraid that might the culprit. If you say that is exactly what is happening to you than we are on the same boat and that's enough for me, I guess i'll just have to find another workflow ;(

Anybody has a explanation as to why it is so?

Thanks,

Phil

Mike Kujbida May 13th, 2010 04:06 AM

I grabbed this off another Vegas forum and the poster claimed it worked for him.

Install ffdshow tryouts for x64 and be sure to install the VFW codec.

Gerald Webb May 13th, 2010 04:14 AM

Thanks Mike,
I'll give that a go............. right after Phil does and everything's ok.
:)

Mike Kujbida May 13th, 2010 04:24 AM

Gerald, I can tell you that ffdshow is a trusted codec and SourceForge is a trusted site.
It's installed on my computers at work (specifically to read Xvid files that students insist on bringing in) and I don't put anything on there that I don't trust implicitly.

Gerald Webb May 13th, 2010 04:39 AM

I know that Mike, I have complete faith in anything you would put on here. I was not trying to be rude, forgive me if it came across that way.
I just found it amusing that when you hover over the 64bit link it comes up with....

Experimental, Not stable, 32 bit version recommended instead.

Which I read as, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!!! ".
lol, sorry Im doing it again, been a long day, Im going silly.
thanks Mike.

PS Im going to install it as soon as this render's finished :)

Mike Kujbida May 13th, 2010 05:13 AM

Gerald, it definitely didn't come across as you being rude, just cautious, and that's always a good thing.
I'm always hesitant recommending a solution that I haven't tried so forewarned is forearmed.
As always, make sure to set a restore point, just in case.

Phil Gosselin May 14th, 2010 12:31 PM

Well so far so good sorta....

I installed the ffdshow and now I can open avi file in my x64 version of Vegas.

On the other hand (or is it end...sorry I'm french) whenever I try to render something using ffdshow Vegas doesn't so much as give me a hint that it might render a couple of frames but simply crashes. Sometimes it crashes while I am in the ffdshow configuration window ???

How about you Gerald, any luck?

Phil

Gerald Webb May 14th, 2010 02:49 PM

no go here Phil,
tried to render a 6 sec clip to xvid with all defaults, hit save, Vegas goes home ( crashes :( )
Tried a DivX , same thing.
I guess when the dude who wrote the program say's its unstable, we should believe him, lol.
ah well, back to the drawing board (XP).

Adam Stanislav May 15th, 2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Gosselin (Post 1527034)
On the other hand (or is it end...sorry I'm french)

You got it right. :) It is hand.