DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best way to organize an hour + vegas project? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/479329-best-way-organize-hour-vegas-project.html)

Zachary Mattson June 2nd, 2010 11:52 AM

Question

If I work 8 different veg. projects with all clips in the AVID DNxHD codec, and then write the edited segments to the same AVID codec, and bring all 8 new clips to 1 project, will I have lost quality even though it was written from uncompressed DNxHD to uncompressed DNxHD? Thanks for any help here!

edit: the film is for film festival submission, so I can't afford any quality lost if possible.

Walter Reinhard June 2nd, 2010 08:34 PM

timelines != tracks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1532768)
Timelines and tracks are the same thing just different names. Instances of Vegas, mutiple instances of Vegas open. I've had 6 different instances open at one time, CandP between them. Can get confusing sometimes.

And to everyone else thinking and saying so, let me make a point.

A time line has certain characteristics - mainly: how you count the time. If you have two timelines, they can have different characteristics. For example, 1 timeline may count time as 88.2khz audio samples, the other as NTSC frames. So obviously tracks and timelines *are not the same*.

You can have multiple tracks that are arrange on one timeline. You cannot have two timelines simultaneously outputing to same device time unless you mix them via some other parent timeline/virtual device that does the conversion of the various child timeline measurements to the parents measure (Vegas does not do this AFAIK). You can have to tracks playing simultaneously one timeline.

This is English. Not anything specific to an application or hardware.

If you want to understand what I am talking about in Vegas, right click on your timeline. It should be up at the top where the markers get placed. Vegas can handle several time formats. You can also see this in the time display.

Sorry for being pedantic.

Don Bloom June 2nd, 2010 09:06 PM

Walter, while I understand what you are saying in Vegas Pro timelines and tracks will give you the same information depending on how you set the 'ruler' up. You can only set up one ruler which of course has the frames, time, drop, non-drop etc. This is carried thruout the entire project regardless of whether you are using 1 track or 99. So again while I understand what you are saying in your previous post it's not necessarily true in Vegas. There is no master timeline as any track can be used as the master.

Walter Reinhard July 1st, 2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1534247)
Walter, while I understand what you are saying in Vegas Pro timelines and tracks will give you the same information depending on how you set the 'ruler' up. You can only set up one ruler which of course has the frames, time, drop, non-drop etc. This is carried thruout the entire project regardless of whether you are using 1 track or 99. So again while I understand what you are saying in your previous post it's not necessarily true in Vegas. There is no master timeline as any track can be used as the master.

Well, I guess the guys who made Vegas don't speak English or use very strange terminology. When you look up timeline in Vegas help, what does it say?

Don Bloom July 1st, 2010 11:03 AM

From what I read they seem to use TRACK and TIMELINE interchangably. When I searched TIMELINE there were somewhere in the area of 30, 35 different things none of which defined a true meaning of what they consider to be a TIMELINE, so in truth, I think we might be saying the same thing simply using different terminology.
Vegas has TRACKS (both audio and video) that can be or are considered to be TIMELINES. Six of one, 1/2 dozen of another perhaps. I do know that if someone asks me or tells me about a TIMELINE or a TRACK I know what they mean so as long as I can bumble my way through I guess I could call it Chevrolet. ;-)

Dale Guthormsen July 1st, 2010 08:52 PM

Good evening,

well, I have always felt it best to keep things simple. Kinda like, I'd rather play the chord than name the chord.

I always thought that the docking window that has the ruler and holds all the vid/audio tracks was the timeline.

I see using two timelines, one with beats in the ruler, and one with timecode.

I have used several other editing suites and none of them allow for that. So, in most suites you simply nest the projects.

If there is any other way of doing this I would be very interested in hearing about it!!!

In edius you would build them in "Sequences" then combine them. Really the same thing.