DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best way to organize an hour + vegas project? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/479329-best-way-organize-hour-vegas-project.html)

Matthew Capowski May 24th, 2010 05:06 PM

Best way to organize an hour + vegas project?

Hey all,

I'm new to Vegas but know enough of the basics on how to edit and my project is not that complex but it is long (probably about 90 minutes).

What is the convention on creating a long project -- is it everything in one project file, all on the same time line, or is it common for people to shoot short, complete clips and keep them as seperate vegas projects and just join them all together at the end?

My uneducated bias is to shoot everything in a modular fashion and then join them at the end, as this would seem to give me more flexibility and result in less time making corrections at the end, but is there some disadvantage to this I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

MC

Adam Stanislav May 24th, 2010 06:16 PM

There is no convention. Vegas can handle it either way, but it also depends on your computer. And most importantly on your personal preference. Do it whatever way feels best to you.

Jordan Brindle May 25th, 2010 11:03 AM

Just finished editing a 90-100 minute wedding, i found the best way to edit it was 'modular' as you put it. Also, i found loading up one time line with 60+ minutes of footage caused the program to occasionally crash. So for me, editing in 30-40 minute chunks works nicely, not sure how easy that is for your project however.

Jay Massengill May 25th, 2010 12:44 PM

I know it escaped me when I first started using Vegas many years ago, but the Media Bins can be a great help in organizing the elements you're editing with during a long or complex project. It certainly helped me with speeding up the editing process once I started using them.
I agree that it depends on the project, your editing preference and your hardware. I think everyone uses a mixture of techniques.

Ian Stark May 25th, 2010 02:46 PM

Someone will throw nested veg files into the mix sooner or later so it might as well be me! I confess to not being a regular user of nested veg files but they may well work for your purposes. What is the nature of the project out of interest?

Paul Cascio May 25th, 2010 03:17 PM

I use a single timeline and have had 1-hour+ projects with no problems using 9.0C. I too found the media bins to be extremely helpful. I make seperate bins for each scene and each camera, also bins for graphics, FX, music, stills, etc.

Don Bloom May 25th, 2010 04:41 PM

I think a lot would depend on the nature of the project, are you going to edit straight thru or will you be taking a 2 week break because of other work, how much RAW footage are you working with, are there natural breaks in the footage and your personal preferances. I've used a single TL, nested vegs, media bins and rendered (avi) sections stitched together depending on the job.
I don't think there's a right or wrong way mostly a personal choice as to what you think is easiest and appropriate for that particular project, also what you're used to doing.
Actually if I could teach my dog to edit I'd be happy but without thumbs well, you know, she just can't get the hang of the mouse.

Chris Barcellos May 25th, 2010 08:37 PM

In my narrative work, I like to break down the film into scenes, dedicating a project file to each one. Then in a master project, you can import the scene .veg files to time line to see how things are matching up..

Cristian Adrian Olariu May 28th, 2010 05:47 AM

Multiple timelines?

I saw mentioned twice here "I use a single timeline". Is there any way to have multiple timelines in Vegas (besides nested projects) ?

Mike Kujbida May 28th, 2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu (Post 1532404)
I saw mentioned twice here "I use a single timeline". Is there any way to have multiple timelines in Vegas (besides nested projects) ?

Have multiple copies of Vegas open and copy/paste as required.

Paul Cascio May 28th, 2010 07:01 AM

Or, you could complete half, start a new timeline for the 2nd half and then cut and past just once at the end.
I would do this, or even smaller chunks, if you are having trouble with crashes or render isssues.

Don Bloom May 28th, 2010 08:10 AM

How many timelines would you like? I've used as many as 24 at one time but it was mutliple cameras, multiple time of shooting, graphics, etc etc and the only way to cut it in a coherent manner was multiple TLs.

You don't need to use nested vegs to use multi TLs although that is 1 way to do it. You don't need to have multiple instances of Vegas open although that is 1 way to do it.

If you want multiple TLs in one instance of Vegas simply open Vegas, drag the clips you want on TL 1 to it, then insert another TL below that name it 2 for example, drag the clips you want on it to it, reapeat as necessary.

Vegas has many ways to do the things and will take as many TLs as needed.

I am talking about Vegas Pro, the light edition is limited in the number of timelines you can use at one time.

Philip Younger May 28th, 2010 05:58 PM

Something else others haven't mentioned which may be an important consideration for a long project - is your computer up to it?

I recently edited a 35min project shot at 1080i/50 3 video tracks, 4 audio tracks nothing very fancy and no effects other than pan & crop a few transitions etc and all this on an Intel based PC using Quad core Q9770 extreme cpu with 8 gig of RAM - rendering crashed after 10-15mins!!!!!!!!!

Sony support could only suggest that I break the project up into smaller sections and join it all up after rendering each section.

OK, so I had made the mistake of installing the 32bit version of Vegas so I wasn't getting the true value of the 8gig of RAM - but, I wasn't out-putting to blu-ray just DVD

Cristian Adrian Olariu May 29th, 2010 06:01 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. But I was referring to time-lines, not tracks (layers). Adobe Premiere's call them sequences.
Mike's suggestion seems to be the closest I am looking for: multiple copies of Vegas open. I was hoping for something similar to sequences.

Don Bloom May 29th, 2010 06:12 AM

Timelines and tracks are the same thing just different names. Instances of Vegas, mutiple instances of Vegas open. I've had 6 different instances open at one time, CandP between them. Can get confusing sometimes.