Transistion length at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transistion length

I am using a standard Sony Linear Wipe transition but I would like to make it 60 frames long rather than the default 30 frames. I tried double-clicking in the lower-right box and typing in 2;00 in place of 1;00 but .....

Forum search for "transition length" gets me a topic from 2004 that is two miles long.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Click <F1> for help, then click on index and type in the word "transition" and press <enter>. That will explain better than we can here because all we have here is words, while the help file shows you the pictures of how to do it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, thanks Adam.

RTFM <insert red-face smiley here!>
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Trustee

On second thought, the way I do transitions is by dragging a part of the beginning of the second clip over the equal part of the end of the first clip and then drag the transition on the overlap. The transition will start where the two clips start overlapping and end where they end overlapping. That way I have a complete control over the length of the transition.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Basically, the bigger the overlap, the longer the transition. The smaller the overlap, the shorter the transition. If you drag several files to the timeline at once, they will overlap by default (if set to do so). Go to Options - Preferences to change that default length. However, as mentioned, I typically drag to create the overlap or use a script.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

in OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>EDITING about 1/2 way down you can set the transition length by simply changing the number. For instance setting it to .29 makes it 29 frames, etc.
NOW butt the clips together, use the / key on the number pad and it will automatically make the dissolve and make it the exact amount you want. This method stretches the head and tail of the clip(s) or you simply pull the clip over the previous one and set it where you want it.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I looked in all my other resources but - I don't know why I didn't look in the Help file. It really is explained and illustrated pretty well - I understood it after reading it.

Above and beyond, gentlemen. Your personal application and encouragement is appreciated!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...