Edit after Render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Edit after Render

Here's my problem:

A 2 hour length video for a very important client rendered to an MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.
I burned the DVD for preview.
Previewing the video on the TV it all looks great. Then out of nowhere is an errant, out of place 2 second clip. I missed it in the pre-render review. Must have needed one more cup of Java...
The render took 15 hours, and I don't want to go through that again.
Does anyone know of a way to block that segment in Architect 5.0?
I'll render it again if I have to. Thanks for any advice!
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What I generally do is render the file to the DVD Architect DVD Mpeg2 setting in Vegas, and then drop it into Architect, where render at least of the movie file is very brief. And you could trim that clip out of the mpeg 2 file in Vegas.

You may be able to take the offending .vob file into vegas, by changing name from .vob to .mp2 and edit it, then save that section as an .mp2 then rename it as a .vob file again. I haven't tried this,but its worth a shot.

15 hours to render a DVD ?? Wow, something is wrong there. That shouldn't take that long... What are you rendering from ?

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; June 4th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris, it did not take 15 hours to render the DVD, the file is a 4.2 GB rendering from the Canon XHA1 1440x1080 to the DVD Architect DVD Mpeg2 setting in Vegas which took about 3.5 hours per GB.
Burning the DVD from this file took only about 5 minutes in Architect.
I brought the rendered file back into Vegas and split the unintended segment, but there is no magic button to re-save without re-rendering as far as I can see. I wish there was something in Architect where I could insert an ending right before that scene, and then magically begin again when I want.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Major Player

You will need to re-render the file to create a file structure for DVD. It may not re-compressed in rendering because its already in the same file formatt.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Trustee

I had to do this once when I realized after a long mp2 render that one of the participants had stepped out wide enough to cross a matte boundary.
I fixed that few seconds in the original Vegas file, rendering only the segment I needed plus enough extra to later cut it in at a clearly recognizable sync point.
I then brought the two mp2 files into a new Vegas session and did the replacement using the recognizable sync point to quickly align the fix. The re-render was very fast because it didn't have to recompress.
Just remember later when cleaning up files that you still need to save the original render, it will be necessary source material for the second Vegas session where you did the mp2 fix and rendered the final file.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...