DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Platinum vs Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/480249-platinum-vs-pro.html)

Burt Alcantara June 11th, 2010 10:59 AM

Platinum vs Pro

On the Sony site, the differences between the two appear to be, for my needs anyway, insignificant. However, browsing this and other sites I'm beginning to get the idea that there are a lot more differences then what is stated on the Sony site.

I am purely rank amateur with no intentions or ambitions of becoming professional. My editing needs are somewhat complex in that the end results are often abstract (transitions, grading, effects, etc).

I'm in the process of building a new system and would like to get an idea if the Pro version makes any sense for me. So far, Platinum is quite sufficient, but that could change (or not).

Thanks,
Burt

Graham Bernard June 11th, 2010 11:25 AM

What is your question?

Grazie

Edward Troxel June 11th, 2010 12:19 PM

Major differences to me:

Unlimited tracks (VMS 10 has upped this to 10 video and 10 audio max - older versions limited it to 4 each)

File - Render As - CUSTOM button works in Pro where it doesn't on many renderers in VMS.

SCRIPTING - the ability to run scripts is only in Pro and they can really save you time and simplify the editing process

Multi-cam features (although I use scripting for this)

More track compositing options

Pan/Crop Bezier masking

etc...

Burt Alcantara June 11th, 2010 03:09 PM

What about configuring the product for your cpu? I've read post stating that threads can be adjusted and memory reassigned (whatever that means). That sort of thing.

Edward Troxel June 12th, 2010 06:53 AM

I don't have VMS so I don't know exactly which settings are available there for that. The two main settings are "Number of Rendering Threads" and "RAM Preview" which are definitely in Pro - not sure about VMS but would suspect they are there.

Burt Alcantara June 12th, 2010 01:07 PM

I saw a post on Eugenia's blog about grading where she says that she has more options for color grading on pro then platinum. This is not listed on Sony's website. I'd like to know what other "options" are available in pro that are not in platinum.

Thanks,
Burt

Edward Troxel June 12th, 2010 05:20 PM

I believe the new version just added one of the color correction tools that was previously only in the Pro version. It appears the secondary color corrector is now in VMS.

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 13th, 2010 04:45 AM

I just upgraded from Platinum 9b to version 10 and the differences are legion.
They've got rid of the awful trimmer pane and made it a proper preview source pane as in standard NLEs. There are more choices for rendering - the Custom button does now open, etc etc. (plus the fact that the programme is so stable whatever file you throw at it - as well as the range of compositing functions.
I am now a very happy convert from Premiere Pro CS3!

Randall Leong June 13th, 2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1537906)
I just upgraded from Platinum 9b to version 10 and the differences are legion.
They've got rid of the awful trimmer pane and made it a proper preview source pane as in standard NLEs. There are more choices for rendering - the Custom button does now open, etc etc. (plus the fact that the programme is so stable whatever file you throw at it - as well as the range of compositing functions.
I am now a very happy convert from Premiere Pro CS3!

With this release of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum, this looks like the right solution for what I do (archiving TV shows and HD camcorder footage onto a menued Blu-ray or AVCHD DVD disc). Previously, I had to purchase prosumer-level software just to even do this as the consumer-level software packages I looked at when I started doing this archiving either did not natively support progressive-scan frame rates above 29.97 fps or did not come with Blu-ray compatible HD authoring software. The new DVD Architect Studio 5.0 now allows you to author HD content with menus in addition to SD content. However, one needs to purchase HD Platinum or HD Platinum Production Suite in order to get this authoring software. The plain Vegas Movie Studio HD does not have a disc-authoring program at all (not even for SD).

Burt Alcantara June 13th, 2010 12:45 PM

Robin,
Are you saying I can real time edit my T2i MOV files without stuttering (within reason)? I have a heavy hand with effects and the like but will this be overcome with a beefy CPU and RAM?

Thanks,
Burt

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 14th, 2010 05:20 AM

Burt,
I haven't had the reason to use any MOV files yet, so I can't really say how they would run in this editing software.
My feelings is - since it will scale the playback to match the processing power of the machine - that it probably would be OK, but don't quote me on that!