Vegas and Avid MC 5 - we did choose the right horse - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Regarding sound acquisition in the rink -- I use mostly audience applause from one camera, and occasionally the sound of skates on the ice. My subject matter expert (daughter) says that if the skates are making much noise, they are not doing it right. I keep a bit of rink ambient sound along with the CD track to whatever the skater is using for music because "dry" CD track sounds unnatural.

There is no sync dialogue although I capture the announcer from a mixer feed. This is so the person skating is announced as they enter the rink and straight rink audio would be unintelligible. On a theatrical production there is limited announcer and almost all CD tracks. I did use the Sony NR plug on a spring show where I placed my own mike in the announcer booth. The compressor noise was low enough to be mostly removable although there were artifacts in the VO track. Maybe Rx would work here ...

A couple of years ago I put this slide show together for the local Vegas user group. Regular Vegas users know a lot of it but new people might find it useful.

Document Index: Mindtography Multi-Camera Edits Using Vegas and VASST UltimateS Pro
Chip Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Chip,

That's a well thought-out strategy. I like it when people use the brains they're given. Good work!

Ironically, I have a daughter who counsels me as well. It started last year when she learned to speak. Now that she's almost three, her suggestions have become more like commands. Fortunately, she smiles ever-so-cute as she barks them out.

Can't speak from a skater's perspective, as I'm not one; but from a theoretical physics perspective, your daughter is correct about any excessive noise from the skates signaling a problem. If there's a lot of it, that means the pressure from the blade is not melting enough of the contacted ice to create the fluidity ice skaters depend on.

As far as Ozone on multiple computers, is that allowed? I'm slow to buy software I can't use on both of my two fastest computers.

Thanks again for the help.

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Higerd View Post
...As far as Ozone on multiple computers, is that allowed? I'm slow to buy software I can't use on both of my two fastest computers...
I was able to install the Direct-x version of Ozone 3 on both laptop and workstation.

Don't know about Ozone 4 - why not ask Izotope?
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Seth,

Izotope just sent me an answer. Yes, multiple machines are allowed, with the standard one owner—one-at-a-time use restrictions. Considering I'm diligent about everything I possess (software, music, videos...) being fully legal, this is good news to me.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Higerd; August 5th, 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: needed to be updated
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...