Can't Open Pan and Zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't Open Pan and Zoom

Hi everyone,

Any ideas as to what I may have hit to make it impossible to open the Pan and Zoom editing tool? When I click on the edit box on my video event nothing happens.

Thanks!
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mike,
Do you mean the little "crop" icon on the lower right corner of the clip? If that's the case I've never seen or heard about that happening before but anything is possible. You might just need to re-install Vegas after removing the current install first.
BTW, what version of Vegas are you running and also is it Vegas Pro or the lite version?
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Don,

Pro 9.

Yes, I hit that little icon and the box doesn't open up for me. But I know the pan and zoom tool is working because I can use my keyboard arrows to affect the video event.

I've looked for the answer on the web and it seems like most people have just locked or moved the box offscreen. However, the fixes are not working for me - changing my screen resolution to 800 X 600 to see if I can find the box and drag it back onscreen, reverting to default Vegas settings for the work windows, and doing something with aligning a toolbar. But I don't understand this last one so maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow, I have never seen this before so I have to say I'm stumped. MAybe Mike K or Edward or Seth can jump in and give you more information. I'm shootin' in the dark on this. When you get it sorted out please let us know what the fix was.
Sorry can't be more help on this one.
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry guys but this has me stumped too :-(
Set the taskbar to auto-hide and then make your screen resolution bigger than normal.
Close all open tabs in the hope that it's hiding behind one of them.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FWIW, you can right click on the clip to get to pan and crop as well. I too would reinstall the program.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Instead of reinstalling, how about a reset to the default settings?
Either way, you're going to lose any and all custom presets.

Press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it.
Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.
In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?"
Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

As is so often the case, Mike has the best idea; I agree with resetting to the default values...capital idea.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

I'm betting Mike K's first suggestion will let you find it. Usually when a window "disappears", it is really in one of two locations:

1. Hidden under the "Start" bar. Move the start bar out of the way and you can then find it and drag it back to the main area of the screen. You can move it by clicking on a blank area of the bar and dragging it to another side of the screen or, as Mike said, set it to "Auto Hide".

2. Docked in a docking area - so it would show up as another tab along with the Explorer, Project Media, VideoFX, Transitions, etc.... In that case, you just click on the column of dots in the upper left-hand corner of that window and drag it away from the docking area.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...