DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   COM object failed to initialize? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/480669-com-object-failed-initialize.html)

Jim Snow June 20th, 2010 09:50 AM

COM object failed to initialize?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a project that I haven't worked on for a few months. When I attempt to load it, I'm getting the attached message. What does this mean?

Adam Stanislav June 20th, 2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1540428)
What does this mean?

It means that Vegas cannot find a component whose UUID is 521cf88b-aaf7-42bf-94dc-7a2c4be49b67. I have just searched the registry of my computer for that UUID and did not find it there, which tells me it does not belong to Vegas itself but most likely to a plug-in.

I have also searched the web for "521cf88b-aaf7-42bf-94dc-7a2c4be49b67" and found two message threads on other forums discussing the exact same problem. Both forums were in Russian so I did not understand every single word on them, but one mentioned Boris Red, and suggested to re-install it, but the re-install of Boris Red did not help him (well, you can see it for yourself if you understand Russian).

Oh, wait, this other thread states:

Quote:

спасибо, переустановил борис и все норм
That means: "Thanks, re-installed Boris and everything is normal." So, there. Re-install Boris! Perhaps you last opened the veggie in the 32-bit Vegas and now tried to open it in the 64-bit Vegas? At any rate, as per the Russians, it is a Boris problem.

Jim Snow June 20th, 2010 03:44 PM

Thanks Adam; that was the problem. I had installed an evaluation copy of Boris Red on Pro 8 when I created the project that I couldn't open. I reinstalled the Boris Red eval and was able to then open the project. I exported the final of the project as a Cineform file and then uninstalled the Boris Red eval. That's something to keep in mind with evaluating plug-ins. If you uninstall them, you may wind up with a project that you can't subsequently open - not a nice surprise!

Adam Stanislav June 20th, 2010 03:53 PM

I'm glad you got it straightened out. But I am surprised that Vegas did not offer you a way of just ignoring the missing plug-in.

Jim Snow June 20th, 2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1540505)
I'm glad you got it straightened out. But I am surprised that Vegas did not offer you a way of just ignoring the missing plug-in.

I'm surprised as well. That's not nice. The only way out was the message I posted above. When you click on it, the project load is terminated. Vegas should allow you to continue even if a piece of the project is 'broken.'

Edward Troxel June 21st, 2010 06:38 AM

I've opened MANY VEG files from other people who used plugins I don't have. What typically happens is an error message that pops up that says these plugins could not be found and then it lists a series of GUID's (not very helpful in determining WHAT effect is missing).

I'm wondering if Boris did not fully uninstall that information and Vegas was actually able to FIND that GUID but enough of Boris was gone that Boris could not load?

Adam Stanislav June 21st, 2010 08:00 AM

I assume the UUIDs are stored inside the veggie. I mean, how else would Vegas know what plug-ins to try to load?

Jim Snow June 21st, 2010 11:26 AM

Has anyone heard of a VEG editor? I was able to deal with this particular problem thanks to Adam but it could be a real problem if there wasn't a way to deal with it. Even if there was a problem with an opened project such as a filter that didn't work, that's far better than being dead in the water.

Adam Stanislav June 21st, 2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1540739)
Has anyone heard of a VEG editor?

As far as I know, Sony has never released the structure of .veg files. And Wotsit does not have it either (which means that either no one has reverse engineered their structure, or whoever did has never released it, either). That would make such an editor hard to write.