DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can you rotate video footage 180 in Vegas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/480745-can-you-rotate-video-footage-180-vegas.html)

Norris Combs June 21st, 2010 05:54 PM

Can you rotate video footage 180 in Vegas?

While on a roller coaster ride, I absentmindedly held the camcorder upside down. Can I make the footage right side up in Vegas?

Thanks,

Adam Stanislav June 21st, 2010 06:02 PM

Absolutely! Download my Dunaj plug-in and select rotate. Comes in both, 32 bits and 64 bits. Select the right version for your Vegas.

Mike Kujbida June 21st, 2010 06:53 PM

Pan/Crop allows you to flip it horizontally or vertically - or both if you want to :-)

edit: Adam, thanks for the free plug-in!!
Much easier than using Pan/Crop.

Norris Combs June 21st, 2010 06:56 PM

Very cool, will try it later.
Thanks,

John Wiley June 21st, 2010 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Mike Kujbida;1540912]Pan/Crop allows you to flip it horizontally or vertically - or both if you want to :-)

You would actually need to flip it both horizontally and vertically to get the image to display correctly (not as a mirror image).

Another option is to bring up the Pan/Crop window and under the "Rotation" tab set the angle value to '180' using the text field.

Adam Stanislav June 21st, 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1540912)
Adam, thanks for the free plug-in!!
Much easier than using Pan/Crop.

You're welcome.

John Gordon June 22nd, 2010 07:12 AM

don't flip in pan crop, just rotate it.... you don't need any addtional plugins.

Ian Stark June 22nd, 2010 07:21 AM

. . . and finally, you can set the output to be rotated in the project properties, useful for signage.

Aleksey Tarasov June 22nd, 2010 10:27 PM

If you just want to rotate, why not use the media properties - rotation? I think this is the easiest way

Ian Stark June 22nd, 2010 11:56 PM

Another example of Vegas offering multiple routes to achieve something.

Adam, I don't think everyone gets what your plugin is about! It does seem to make the job a lot easier and I can see why shooters with 35mm adapters would be keen to use it. Thanks for making it available - and free.

Adam Stanislav June 23rd, 2010 09:52 AM

You're welcome, Ian.

Bruce Phung June 23rd, 2010 10:09 AM

Thank you Adam. I downloaded and I like it.

Edward Troxel June 23rd, 2010 12:13 PM

There's another HUGE difference between using Pan/Crop and any other effect - especially if the effect can zoom in! Pan/Crop will use the FULL resolution of the media where effects will only affect the video screen size.

Adam Stanislav June 23rd, 2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1541566)
There's another HUGE difference between using Pan/Crop and any other effect - especially if the effect can zoom in! Pan/Crop will use the FULL resolution of the media where effects will only affect the video screen size.

What are you talking about? All my plug-in does is reverse the order of the pixels. And, as any plug-in, it can be applied to the media itself before it is even added to the track, so it applies to the full resolution.

Using pan/crop is an overkill. It has many variables and as such is slower than a plug-in that does only one thing.

Always use the simplest tool to accomplish what you need. Anything else is like putting a nail in a wall with a jackhammer.

Edward Troxel June 24th, 2010 06:29 AM

Adam, I'm not saying your tool isn't useful. Most people will apply it directly to an event on the timeline. As such, it's now working with VIDEO OUTPUT resolution and not necessarily the full resolution of the clip. I didn't mean to indicate it might be a hindrance in this one particular situation but could be an issue - especially if the plugin zooms in on the clip. Using Pan/Crop will zoom in using the full resolution. Using Track Motion to do the same thing will not - for example.