How to use HD footage from Canon 5D mark ii with Vegas 9 Pro? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Adi, Quicktime must be installed in order for Vegas to use MOV files. With the latest version of Vegas and the latest version of Quicktime installed, will it simply load those MOV files? Otherwise, what's wrong with using NeoScene to properly convert them into something Vegas can read?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey Brad... I'm in PAL LAND as well... running Windows XP... :)
I was just asking about certain stages of the work flow you described... but no Mac for me at the moment.

Sorry if I've somehow confused you.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Adi, I'm so easily confused, to the point that I consider it a good day if I respond properly to traffic signals. So no worries, and I certainly hope you find the workflow you're trying to achieve.

Ed(ward Troxel), do you remember meeting me in Orlando? You held a meeting downtown. Nice to see you're still sharing your knowledge with folks like me.

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Adi, Quicktime must be installed in order for Vegas to use MOV files. With the latest version of Vegas and the latest version of Quicktime installed, will it simply load those MOV files? Otherwise, what's wrong with using NeoScene to properly convert them into something Vegas can read?

I don't know. ... (sigh)...I haven't even shot one frame of HD footage with my 5D mark ii yet. I'm still going through the manual :)

I just read that you need to run the footage through some sort of conversion (intermediate codec) to make it easily editable with Vegas (or other NLEs).

Brad suggested what seemed to be a very inexpensive and (from what he judges) better way to do that, so I thought I would download neoscene for a trial period and compare the two. But the work flow he suggested wasn't quite clear to me.

If you think I should just stick with neoscene and be done with it. I'll take your advice and go with cineform.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Brad, I certainly do remember that trip. I was down visiting Disney World at the time and it was a great addition to that trip. Certainly enjoyed meeting the folks in the Orlando area that evening.

Adi, I'd definitely try some various methods. I don't have that camera so I haven't tried importing any footage from it. I do have one of the GoPro cameras and they output MP4 files which you can drag straight to the timeline in Vegas.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm with Ed!

Neoscene is more than the easy way, it's the best way (or so our tests have concluded). If you go that route, be sure to follow Cineform's installation procedure to make sure the AC3 encorder is working right.

And Ed knows his stuff. Over the years (been a few), he's guided me to many great solutions (not to mention his own tools, which are definitely worth a look).

Brad

P.S. Ed, you've clearly got a better memory than me. But what's this "Disney" thing you're referring to? Is that near me?
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #22
Trustee

OK,
can anybody guide me please?
I love Vegas, I can edit any format , even RED 4K raw files are flying on my PC (i7 920, 12Gb RAM, raptor raid 0) but 5/7D converts from neoscene are the files I am using the most and i can't edit them without problems;
since switching to 9e i don't see anymore red frames, now they are black, IO surrogate comes up every 5 min on the 3 min project with maybe 100 -120 DSLR clips, it takes me 30 - 40 Vegas restarts to finish, and sometimes a few more Vegas restarts to render video without errors,
I was trying to change Vegas and Neoscene settings, but nothing works, what am I doing wrong, and is there anybody else who has similar problems?
many thanks in advance;
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #23
Inner Circle

The problem with the Avid DnX workflow is that clips still won't play that well, at least on my i7 they don't.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Buba,

I'd take that question to the Cineform forum (near bottom). David is likely to have a good idea what or who to talk to.

Brad
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #25
Trustee

I already talk numerous times to Cineform support, but as I expected it is not Neoscene problem but Vegas ability to handle Cineform footage,
thanks for reply, will try Cineform forum
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Okay Buba, my best crack at it is similar to something I've begun to see running Vegas 9 Pro (32-bit for legacy plug-ins) is this—

When I bump the Cineform files through Vegas Project Propoerties, Pixel Format, to "32-bit floating levels (video)," whackadoo stuff similar to what you previously described starts happening.

If you want me to post this in the Cineform Forum, no sweat. And feel free to quote me. If there's an issue Sony or Cineform side, it needs to be corrected before we get deep into an upcoming production.

Brad
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...