DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   20 minute DV-EDIT taking forever to render on Windows7 64 bit i7-980 CPU :( why ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/481433-20-minute-dv-edit-taking-forever-render-windows7-64-bit-i7-980-cpu-why.html)

Chris Amana July 5th, 2010 05:52 PM

20 minute DV-EDIT taking forever to render on Windows7 64 bit i7-980 CPU :( why ?

Hi guys :)

My current render is only 50% complete and it has already taken 8 hours, which means it will be completed in 16 hours :(

This surely can't be right ?

Here's some info: (Hopefully all the relevant information to help make sense of this)

I'm using Windows 7 64bit with 12 GIG RAM, the new i7-980 CPU (6 cores).
My Project files are on a fast SDD Drive C: and I'm rendering output to Drive D: (2 Raptors in RAID)

I'm using Vegas Pro 64-Bit revision d.

My CPU monitor is showing 12 cores, because of the HyperThreading technology which doubles the 6 cores.

My Windows Task Manager is showing that i''m using 10.5 GIG RAM

==================================================

The file is DV PAL 720x576 (filmed with my Sony PD170 3CC DV-CAM)

The project settings and render settings are the same @ PAL 720x576.

The 20 minute edit has 4 layers.
One of those layers is for the video which has one effect. (Sony-Levels) and the other three layers are static logos with a simple chroma-key effect.

INTERESTINGLY when I initially started the render , it was flying very fast (almost real-time) and all CPU cores were maxing out around 80% and above. This was only maintained for a little while before things slowed right down. Now only half the cores are showing any stress and nothing over an average of say 30%

16 hours :( Here i am wondering why I've spent all my money lol :(

Any ideas/help will be too good :)

Regards and thanks
Chris

David Jasany July 5th, 2010 06:26 PM

Chris,

I wish I could help because something doesn't sound right. I just rendered two projects on my new I7 930 system and the mpg renders were very fast. I watched the processor utilization of the 4 cores (8 with hyperthreading) and it varied from 30% to 100% on all 8 cores throughout the project.

I left the default values for threads and RAM preview. My system has 6GB and during render Vegas used a little over 3 GB. I'm running Vegas 8.1 64-bit.

Dave

Chris Amana July 5th, 2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jasany (Post 1545525)
Chris,

I wish I could help because something doesn't sound right. I just rendered two projects on my new I7 930 system and the mpg renders were very fast. I watched the processor utilization of the 4 cores (8 with hyperthreading) and it varied from 30% to 100% on all 8 cores throughout the project.

I left the default values for threads and RAM preview. My system has 6GB and during render Vegas used a little over 3 GB. I'm running Vegas 8.1 64-bit.

Dave

David Hi

I changed my RAM preview to 10 or 12 GIGS, thinking i might as well use all my RAM for previewing !

I think you just helped me solve this !

Could it be this ?

I will wait till the render is finished before testing.

What is the default RAM preview as I have forgotten ?

Chris

David Jasany July 5th, 2010 06:46 PM

Chris, my system defaulted to 350MB RAM preview with 16 threads.

I think you may have found your problem. Your system had very little memory for rendering since it was all allocated to RAM preview.

Dave

Chris Amana July 5th, 2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jasany (Post 1545531)
Chris, my system defaulted to 350MB RAM preview with 16 threads.

I think you may have found your problem. Your system had very little memory for rendering since it was all allocated to RAM preview.

Dave

Thanks David.

I'll come back and give an update on things !

:) :)

Chris Amana July 6th, 2010 02:09 AM

it works !

Thanks David for suggesting the RAM Preview...

The video rendered in 34 minutes. A great improvement over 16 hours hehe

much Thanks : )

be well
Chris

David Jasany July 6th, 2010 05:56 AM

Great Chris, glad it worked for you!

Dave