Should I MUTE video events situated temporarily under other video events? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Should I MUTE video events situated temporarily under other video events?

Say I have two video tracks in a Vegas Project - Track 1 and Track 2.
Now lets say I place video EVENT A on track 1 and then place a different video event - EVENT B which is exactly the same duration as EVEN A - on track 2 and I place EVENT B so that it is situated directly beneath EVENT A.
All levels are set to 100% so basically EVENT A completely over-shadows EVENT B.

In the situation described above - does Vegas process EVENT B during playback or rendering? or does Vegas recognize that EVENT B is basically obsolete and ignore it?
Or let me put it another way - does it make a difference (as far as playback and/or rendering) if EVENT B is left as an active event / or if set to mute / or alternatively removed from the timeline altogether?

Thanks.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

There's no need to mute the lower one. It will be ignored. You could do a bunch of them as a test and see if there's any render speed difference but I think you'll see that it's totally ignored.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Ok. Thanks!
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The only time I can see it might make a difference, is if the media properties do indicate some alpha information, even if there is no actual transparent pieces.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Another transparency issue that can happen accidently is if while mousing around on the timeline the opacity of an event gets dragged down to something imperceptible, like 96%.
Unless you are zoomed in enough you might not notice the opacity envelope so close to the top edge of the event. You also probably won't see the effect of this mistake visually in the preview, but it would certainly affect the render time no matter what is below it or whether the events below are muted.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...