Grouping & Ungrouping Events Together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Grouping & Ungrouping Events Together

My problem is I tried grouping some events together. When that didn't work as I expected, I ungrouped them. Somewhere in the process the camera video became unlocked from the camera audio, so they can now move relative to each other. Given I am using the camera audio for syncing the second system sound, that is really bad.

So Vegas Wizards, would someone please tell me how to lock these two back together again, and know they are in sync, like they were originally?

Note: all tracks, have event envelopes on the camera video, camera audio and second system sound. Otherwise I'd just delete and reinsert the video segments.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

To group, you select multiple events and press "G"

To ungroup, you select multiple events and press "U"

There's also an "Ignore Event Grouping" button on the toolbar. Turned on, it's like there is no grouping at all. Turned off, the groupings you set will work.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

To resync the audio right click on the audio track, towards the bottom of the menu is Synchronize. click on it and you can move or slip, I use slip most times and it goes back to where it belongs. Then use Edwards method to lock or unlock the A and V tracks.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you so much for your time, gentlemen.

But now I have another question:

I did as Don suggested and went to Synchronize the camera audio track and...both Move and Slip are grayed out. There's a message there somewhere, can you tell me what it is?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It might be greyed out because you grabbed both the video and audio. Try highlighting JUST the audio clip(s) and see if that does it.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

It could also be grayed out because they're UNGROUPED.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Trustee

There's one other Grouping characteristic to remember when adding items to a new group.

If you click on a video event that is already grouped with its original audio track, the audio event gets "slightly highlighted" since they are grouped, but unless you also shift+click or ctrl+click on the audio event itself to "fully highlight" it before creating the new group, it won't be added to the new group. In fact it will also lose its grouped relation to the original video event. It will be left behind when you drag the newly formed group.

Don't forget that the "Undo" button can be a great friend for re-syncing events that get inadvertantly dragged if you forget you have the "Ignore Event Grouping" button still activated after it's needed.

Depending on how your events are arranged on the timeline, it is sometimes easier to switch to the "Selection Edit Tool" and drag a box that at least touches and highlights all the needed events to make a new group with. The box doesn't have to totally enclose events to select them, just cross them at some point. This gives a little more flexibility in avoiding nearby events if you don't need them in the group, but you are stuck with dragging out only a rectangle using this method.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

On my copy, I do notice that if the original video and audio pair are not overlapping in the timeline, then the two synchronise options are greyed out. Once one or the other is physically dragged to overlap, the two options become available.

Maybe that's the problem?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. At this point everything is in sync, all that need be done is add chapter markers and create the DVD menu. This is a topic I will revisit after the project gets archived & delivered vs. in the middle but oh so close to the end.

And again, thank you.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...