DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   slow mo in vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/48244-slow-mo-vegas.html)

Lisa Lendavic July 24th, 2005 05:43 PM

slow mo in vegas

Could someone please tell me where to find the slow motion effect in sony vegas. I can't find anything in effects or anywhere in the program. What am I missing? I've already read some info about other programs that are used for slow mo that work better than vegas. Is this true?
Thanks Lisa

Lorinda Norton July 24th, 2005 05:49 PM

Hi Lisa,

Right click on track <insert envelope

>Velocity Envelope

>Drag line down to desired %

:)

Patrick King July 24th, 2005 05:51 PM

Lisa,

To create a slomo in Vegas, place your clip on the timeline, hover the mouse over the right edge until you see the symbol shown in the Manual on page 35 as "Trim". Now press and hold the Ctrl key while you right-click and drag the event to make is shorter. You will see a squiggly mark through the center of the event indicating it has been altered. The whole procedure is in the Manual on page 125, including a discussion of Resampling to improve the quality of compressed video.

Lorinda Norton July 24th, 2005 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick King
Lisa,

To create a slomo in Vegas, place your clip on the timeline, hover the mouse over the right edge until you see the symbol shown in the Manual on page 35 as "Trim". Now press and hold the Ctrl key while you right-click and drag the event to make is shorter. You will see a squiggly mark through the center of the event indicating it has been altered. The whole procedure is in the Manual on page 125, including a discussion of Resampling to improve the quality of compressed video.

What? Really??? :)

Patrick King July 24th, 2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
What? Really??? :)

Lorinda, Yeah I got that kinda backwards, didn't I. To create a slomo, Ctrl drag to the right and stretch the event. Sorry!

Lorinda Norton July 24th, 2005 06:01 PM

Not at all, Patrick; the whole concept was news to me!! But is this one of those "more than one way around the barn" things? Because I get along with the velocity envelope method pretty well.

Matt Champagne July 24th, 2005 06:21 PM

Also, its left click not right click on a standard right handed mouse.

Patrick King July 24th, 2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
Also, its left click not right click on a standard right handed mouse.

Matt, I guess I just hoarked the whole thing up. Hopefully, I've not scared Lisa enough to quit Vegas.

Lorinda, I never think about the Velocity Envelopes because I started with VegasVideo and it didn't have them, but it did have the technique I described (or tried to describe). Its the 'Law of Primacy' thing making me go back to the old way of doing things.

Lorinda Norton July 24th, 2005 06:34 PM

LOL! Sorry, Lisa! Patrick and I both mean well. We'll be more careful next time. :)

@ Patrick: I'm glad we had this little train wreck! I didn't know about that other method--it works like a charm. Thank you.

Matt Champagne July 24th, 2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

But is this one of those "more than one way around the barn" things? Because I get along with the velocity envelope method pretty well.
I've never been a fan of the velocity envelope method because it causes a looping of your track, and so you have to adjust the clip length just the same to prevent it from looping from the beginning. Its not an issue if you know the speed you are shooting for, but if you have to play with the speed alot, clicking once to change the envelope and then again to change the length can quickly become tedious. However, if you need to change speed mid-clip its the best (and maybe only) way.

Patrick King July 24th, 2005 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
I've never been a fan of the velocity envelope method ...

Matt, But you have to admit that its nice to have the option of different techniques!

Lisa Lendavic July 24th, 2005 06:55 PM

So either way, I can get it done, right? Patrick, I thought you meant "make it longer", but I was willing to try your way too. :)
Thank you both for the info. I'll try it out. So great to have "experts" at your fingertips. Vegas can be tricky, but I'm figuring it out.
Thank you,
Lisa

Matt Champagne July 24th, 2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Matt, But you have to admit that its nice to have the option of different techniques!
Certainly...every method has its own purpose. Like I said if you wanted to change speed mid clip there is almost no other way...as well as velocity envelopes being a good way to do reverse.

Lorinda Norton July 24th, 2005 07:20 PM

I can hear Edward Troxel muttering to himself, "I can't leave these people alone for five minutes!" :)

Edward Troxel July 24th, 2005 07:29 PM

Naaa. But I HAVE written about it. Just look at the Beginner's Corner section of Vol 1 #9 of my newsletter.