DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Re-Partioning Hard Drive without removing data (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/482622-re-partioning-hard-drive-without-removing-data.html)

David Lamb July 29th, 2010 01:37 PM

Re-Partioning Hard Drive without removing data

I need to move some free space from one partion to another to give me more room for my video storage. Does anyone have any experience of this without reformatting and keeping existing data on the partions.
Using Windows XP SP3. Any software recommendations that are easy to use?

Jeff Harper July 29th, 2010 04:47 PM

I would suggest using money not on software, but on a new drive. Using Windows own tools you can delete partions and then create a larger one.

BTW, partioning drives is hard on drives and slows them down. Consider using folders, not partitions. Partion Magic used to be a great tool, very flexible, it might do what you need, but then again why waste money on software when you can purchase a TB of space at Newegg for under $100?

David Lamb July 30th, 2010 12:47 AM

I would agree that spending money on new drives can be more effective however I already have 3 x 1TB drives within the PC and a large NAS device. My experience of exterbal drives either NAS connectted via 1000Mps network or USB 2 or firewire, is that they are very slow. I have no more room in the PC for any more drives but do have plenty of space on other partions on the same drive. There are a number of free tools available. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Jeff Dillon July 30th, 2010 02:32 PM

I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager and love it. I've done exactly as you've described

PARAGON Software Group - partition manager, drive backup, hard disk partitioning

It's also very fast. The support I got was great. And don't forget about Microsoft Virtual PC, comes free with premium versions of Windows 7.

I have multiple partions running Win7-32 Bit, Win7-64 bit, and even have Win7-64 bootable from an external eSata hard drive, running CS5, imaged using Paragon.

Jeff

Jeff Harper July 30th, 2010 02:53 PM

David, it is well known, as you have found, that firewire and networked drives are painfully slow. I use an esata add on card and my externals perform as well as my internals, very fast. Transfer rates are dependent on the actual drive, so some of my four externals are faster than some of my eight internals.

I state the above not in an attempt to push you one way or the other, but to make sure you understand there are economical options that will give you good value and performance. While partioning drives is a valid option, and one I used to use in the old days, it just seems dated and ineffecient to me now. Good luck with your partitioning, at any rate.

David Lamb July 31st, 2010 03:31 AM

Jeff H - I never thought of using eSATA drives. Great idea. Can you recommend a card and drive?

Jerff D - I will give Paragon a go to get me out of my immediate problem. Thanks for the support.

David Lamb August 1st, 2010 03:22 AM

Just downloaded Partition Magic 11 and used it to solve immediate problem. Thanks for the suggestion. It worked great and was relatively quick.

Jeff Harper August 1st, 2010 10:56 AM

I can't recommend particlular drive, I assemble my own using Newegg.com - Rosewill RX81-MP-SC- BLK 3.5" SATA to USB & 1394 a/b & eSATA External Enclosure (Black) enclosure and the Western Digital Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive which also comes in a 1tb version. As for card I'll have to look it up when I get home.

Adam Stanislav August 1st, 2010 11:46 AM

Jeff, according to newegg, that enclosure only supports drives up to 1.5 TB, but the drive you have listed is 2 TB. Can you verify the combination works?

Jeff Harper August 1st, 2010 12:42 PM

I never realized that! I previously had 1TB and just swapped it out for 2TB. I have three of the enclosures ( I also have an Accomodata model) and they stay very cool, which is why I like the western digital blacks, really nice drives, fast and cool running. Many like the Samsung Spinpoints (I have a few of those myself) and they are not bad, but I prefer the Blacks. I avoid the green drives, they are SO slow.

Adam Stanislav August 1st, 2010 02:23 PM

Well, that means it works, I suppose. Thanks.