DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can't get 64-bit Vegas pro 9 to recognize mb looks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/482781-cant-get-64-bit-vegas-pro-9-recognize-mb-looks.html)

Michael Herrick August 2nd, 2010 12:19 AM

Can't get 64-bit Vegas pro 9 to recognize mb looks

I just dowloaded a trial of Magic bullet looks and i cant get my 64-bit vegas pro 9 to see it, does it only work with 32-bit vegas? on the site, there is no option for 64-bit, it just says "all windows versions" which leads me to believe that they dont have 64-bit support. Or am i doing something wrong? I put it in c/Program files. thanks for any help

Ian Stark August 2nd, 2010 05:33 AM

Sadly no 64 bit version of MB Looks :(

You could check out Film Looks from NewBlueFX. They have 64-bit versions of all their plugins.

Please note I write tutorials for NewBlue but I'm not an employee and their products are mentioned here frequently by other posters.

Michael Herrick August 2nd, 2010 11:25 AM

darn, well maybe i will try that out

Ian Stark August 2nd, 2010 11:37 AM

You could even call in and see them - they're only 60 miles from you!

Michael Herrick August 2nd, 2010 01:46 PM

haha stop by and say hello haha

Patrick Janka August 3rd, 2010 12:30 AM

Yes, you CAN run MB on Win 7 64bit: Magic Bullet Looks: [PS-107] Windows Vista & Windows 7 installation help

Ian Stark August 3rd, 2010 12:40 AM

Indeed you can . . . but that wasn't Michael's question ;-)

Brad Higerd August 3rd, 2010 07:41 AM

I'm a bit frustrated with Sony's "Noise Reduction" for the very same reason. I'm not sure if Sony has plans to develop NR for the 64-bit version of Vegas Pro 9, but the limitation of it and MB Mojo leave me using the 32-bit version of Vegas 9 exclusively (for now).

Brad

Jim Snow August 7th, 2010 11:03 AM

I hope that market pressure will force Red Giant Software to spend more energy on 64-bit now that Premiere Pro CS5 is 64-bit only. If they don't pay more attention to this, it will cost them market share.

Frank Grumeretz August 17th, 2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 1554613)
Sadly no 64 bit version of MB Looks :(

You could check out Film Looks from NewBlueFX. They have 64-bit versions of all their plugins.

Have you used both MBL and NewBlueFX? How do they compare?

Ian Stark August 17th, 2010 02:22 AM

Frank, yes I have both and they are both very good in different ways. I think you will need to check out the demos of both to make a decision that works for you, though.

For me, these are the key differences:

MBL Plus Points: Extensive collection of tools in one place. Very good results. Depth of control is excellent.

MBL Minus Points: Very heavy on the system. Slow render times. Cannot preview in real time (editing a 'look' is done on a single, static frame). Cannot preview over firewire. No 64 bit.

NewBlue Film Looks Plus Points: It's as much control as I personally need. Fewer controls, therefore easier to get to grips with. Much faster render times. 64 or 32 bit. Can preview over firewire. Real time preview. Other functions found in MBL but not in NewBlue Film Looks are available in separate FX bundles from NewBlue, if you need them.

NewBlue Film Looks Minus Points: Not as fine-tunable as MBL. In a head to head I would say that MBL has a very slight edge on NewBlue in terms of end result (matter of personal taste, though).

As with all these things, it really depends what you're trying to achieve. To be honest, I think you get a film look by using film. Period. These tools help you make video look more appealing and give it some of the characteristics of film.

Hope that's of some use.

Ian Stark August 17th, 2010 02:25 AM

I need to add that I am paid by NewBlue as a freelancer to write tutorials for their products (not to promote them). Hopefully my comments above are objective enough.

Jeff Harper August 17th, 2010 06:43 AM

I found that the looks from MB are more sophisticated, more refined. I miss it. NewBlue FX film looks are OK, but I don't use them much. I only used a couple of looks from MB, but I used them a lot. I personally made a decision to use only Vegas 64 bit, so I don't use MB any longer. On the other hand I like the transitions from NewBlue, wonderful variety. I use their transitions rarely, but when I use them they are very effective, especially for ethnic wedding videos.

The NewBlue film effect named "Bright Colors" is extremely useful (when toned down) for certain outdoor stuff...really makes things pop. In any video where things appear lifeless and dull, that particular film look can help. But it must be toned down. You cannot see the full effect until your movie is played on TV, and when used with the default setting it is way to strong, but that seems to be the case with all film looks, IMO. NewBlue is a great value...you really do get what you pay for and more.

Frank Grumeretz August 17th, 2010 12:10 PM

Thanks guys. I downloaded the trial for a few of NewBlueFX programs. Going to give it a whirl this week. In the meantime, I'll switch back to my old computer to finish up those projects with MBL. Good thing I didn't move it off the desk yet. Thankfully I found this thread without wasting too much time trying to get MBL to work on Vegas 64bit.

Ian Stark August 17th, 2010 12:35 PM

I'll add that I will continue to use MB Looks on 32 bit Vegas (I have only today installed 64 bit Win 7 and both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vegas 9). There are a few useful tools that are not available in the NewBlue collections just yet that I would like to have on hand. Plus the investment has already been made so I may as well! For day to day enrichment of flat footage I'll stay with NewBlue though.