Things are disappearing! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Things are disappearing!

Odd one here. I noticed earlier that Excalibur had disappeared from the tabs. I'm in mid-project and I don't have a lot of time to go investigating, so I simply reinstalled it. In fact, it wouldn't complete the reinstall until I had closed Vegas, which made me wonder whether it had just become hidden in some way. When I restarted Vegas, I noticed Excalibur back on the tabs but in a different position. I wondered whether I had inadvertently moved it rather than it having disappeared entirely. Anyway, it was back so all was well.

A few moments ago, however, I noticed that all my presets from a third party audio plugin I use had disappeared as well. Can't find them anywhere!

And now I see that Excalibur has gone again!

Tried restarting Vegas; tried rebooting. No joy.

Edward, if you're here, can you please tell me where I should look to see if Excalibur is still installed. I don't believe this to be an issue with Excalibur, by the way.

Anyone come across this odd behaviour before? Nothing has been (consciously) changed on my system in the last few weeks, other than the installation of the demo of PluralEyes.

Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

When you exit and restart Vegas, Excalibur always goes to the right side of the tabs. Sometimes you have to scroll the tabs to see them all so it may just be that you need to scroll the tabs to find it.

Also, if you put Excalibur in a different tab group that the default one, Upon restart it will return to the default tab group. This is an issue with Vegas as I can't control WHERE it shows up.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #3

As long as it shows up when you go to View - Extensions - Excalibur, it's still installed.
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hello Edward,

That's all pretty much as I thought. Unfortunately it's not showing up on the tabs and isn't there when I look at the Extensions menu.

Also, I just looked in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and it shows up there as installed. Looks like something more unusual is going on.

Again, I'm not thinking it's a problem with Excalibur - I think it's a system fault of some description.
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Couple of additional observations:

1. Autosave still shows up in the Tools/Extensions menu.
2. Closed Vegas. Restarted Vegas - Excalibur still not there. Created new project - Excalibur appeared on the View/Extensions menu.
3. Ozone presets still not there :(
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #6

That definitely all sounds really odd. Not sure what would be going on. I just place Excalibur in {My Documents}/Vegas Application Extensions and Vegas reads that location for extensions and automatically adds them.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I had a similar issue with Ultimate S. I decided I had a virus or some such thing, reinstalled windows and everything was fine. Drastic action I hope you do not have to take Ian.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

OK, I think I've worked it out.

I keep my C: drive purely for the OS and apps. I moved My Documents to a separate drive (D:) which is also my Vegas (and other apps) project drive. I configured Windows to use this location for My Documents. Drive E: is my Vegas (and other apps) data drive.

A couple of months ago I replaced a cooling fan and the new fan, I since discovered, had a much higher start up power requirement than the old one. The effect this had was that at the point of powering on (from cold) it was starving the D: drive of the power it required to start spinning, therefore it gave up. I noticed this pretty quickly, of course, as I didn't have access to My Docs. The simple workaround was to Start/Turn Off Computer/Restart - ie no big start up load on the PSU.

It's not satisfactory, but to be honest I rarely turn that machine completely off anyway so the incovenience is minimal. One day I'll get a bigger PSU. Of course on the occasions when I DO turn it off, if I forget to restart, I don't have access to the D: drive or anything on it. On this specific occasion I was working with Vegas projects on a network drive so I didn't notice it.

Since Vegas Application Extensions are placed in My Documents (which seems odd to me - why does Sony spread them around? Why not put them in the Programs folder?) they won't be discoverable when my D: drive issue occurs. Guess where my Ozone presets are . . .

Just verified this twice and it all seems to bear out. Thanks for the info Edward, that helped me resolve the problem.

Jeff . . . PHEW!! A Windows re-install really wouldn't be welcomed right now!
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #9

I installed it there - not Sony. It's just one of the locations that Vegas looks. You can move the contents of the "Vegas Application Extensions" folder to a different location if that will help you. There's a list of alternate locations. For example:

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony\Vegas\Application Extensions

There's even locations that are Vegas version specific such as:

c:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas 9.0\Application Extensions

This is just a couple of the half dozen or so locations it looks.
Old August 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ah, thanks Edward. Yes, that would help indeed. Presumably I just cut and paste the contents then?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Ian . . .
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #11

Yes. Just move everything inside the Application Extensions Folder to the new location.
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Or just plug the fan into a different connector on a different rail, but it really sounds like you must be straining your power supply to be doing that.
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Matteo, yes it was close to the line before and I think this has just tipped it over the edge. Time for a bigger PSU!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...