DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Do you draw fades on a regular basis? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/483367-do-you-draw-fades-regular-basis.html)

Fitz Townsend August 14th, 2010 10:17 PM

Do you draw fades on a regular basis?

How many of you guys draw fade curves on a regular basis?

Coming from audio, I would never buy a piece of software that restricted the use of audio fades, because you just can't make believable edits without it.

But I would tell most (audio) beginners that they wouldn't need it right away, because it's *possible* to make a montage w/o it.

I'm trying Vegas Studio and you can't edit the curves!! I've been able to work around it with the basic templates somewhat. But is this something I'm going to want badly in a few months, once my editing progresses? I'm already missing the finesse... Those minute details of timing make all the difference!

Seth Bloombaum August 15th, 2010 12:47 PM

I'm not so familiar with Vegas Studio, but surely you have the volume envelopes available as we do in Pro? Does this give you the level of envelope editing you're looking for?

These envelopes would not be displayed by default, but, you'd find it by highlighting the track header and pressing the v key, or, from the view menu.

The fade-in/out curves in pro have several presets... but are not editable. Envelopes will do whatever you want. Hope you've got them in Studio.

Bill Koehler August 18th, 2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1559331)
The fade-in/out curves in pro have several presets... but are not editable. Envelopes will do whatever you want. Hope you've got them in Studio.

Envelopes are there in Vegas Movie Studio and work exactly as you describe.

John Wiley August 19th, 2010 06:22 AM

You can 'draw' fades by pressing 'v' to bring up your envelopes. Then you can hold down shift and draw the curve with your mouse. To create single keyframes you simply double click on the envelope.

Fitz Townsend August 30th, 2010 08:32 AM

Embarrassing late response -

THANK YOU for the tips, guys.

My vegas trial expired before I could try this out, and then had to leave town, and then I purchased the wrong copy yesterday. So I haven't been able to try this since I posted the question. (EXCUSES!) Anyway, I'll trust what you guys said. :)

THANKS!

Fitz Townsend October 22nd, 2010 10:51 AM

Ok, took me a while, but here it is, for anyone else new to Vegas. (really, I couldn't find this in the help file!)

To draw a an envelope fade curve in Vegas Movie Studio 10:

Right click on the track header and select Insert/Remove Envelope. Then you can draw a curve with Shift + Mouse.

Edward Troxel October 23rd, 2010 01:30 PM

That would be the composite envelope. You can certain change the opacity of a track using it. Based on the question, I was not sure that was what was being asked for. I typically don't use it for fading in or out as I can move the mouse over the upper left/right corner of the clip, it will turn into a quarter circle, and I can click and drag toward the center. This creates the fade for me. I can then right-click the fade and change the fade type from several other options.