Memory use in v8 / v9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Memory use in v8 / v9

Is there any reason anyone can think of that a project with 5 tracks of video and 1 audio, when opened in Vegas 8/32bit on XP32, shows the vegas80.exe process taking up over 800,000K of memory, but when the same project is opened in Vegas 9/64bit in a Vista64 partition vegas90.exe shows only 71K used!

I was trying to find a reason why my renders were falling over so I loaded the project in a 64bit Vista partition with a demo of Vegas 9. It works fine.

The media is 1280 x 720 wmv, one track of which is 3d alpha, rotated on the x-axis, three are cropped and positioned using pan/crop and one is a full frame generated media gradient background. All the clips have been pre-rendered so there are no fx in use. When rendering in v8 all four processors would hit 100% and then crash (annoyingly, not always at the same point, so I have ruled out a dodgy piece of media - besides which I have replaced the media and rebuilt the project several times now, and of course, it works in v9).

Any thoughts?

Curious. Have I finally found the reason to upgrade to v9 Pro? ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

A different "Ram Preview" amount set in the preferences?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As per usual, Edward is starting at the logical place to find your issue...so simple I wouldn't have thought of it...I would suggest setting your ram preview to 0 (zero) just for kicks to see if that eliminates it issue.
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Edward, Jeff, many thanks for the ideas.

I've taken a look and although there was a disparity between RAM preview settings in Vegas 8/32 and Vegas 9/64, changing the former to match the latter had a marginal, if any, effect. I've since looked at the project in Vegas 9/32 and the same issue occurs. I've also tried reducing RAM preview to 0, again with minimal effect.

It's only when opening the project in Vegas 9/64 with Vista 64 that I don't have the problem.

I will look at a couple of other recent (and old) projects and see if they demonstrate the same discrepancies.

On a totally unrelated note, I notice that in the text entry box in DVi (i.e. where I am typing now) I can no longer double click on words to highlight them for cutting, deleting etc. I just checked elsewhere (Facebook, LinkedIn, Sony forum) and it works fine. Did I miss something?!
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My following suggestion does not directly help your currently problem by working with what you have, but I feel compelled to at least mention it.

If you were to move to Windows 7, you would have only to install Vegas 9 in 32bit and 64 bit both, and your problems would likely be solved.

Running XP and Vista on a partioned hard drive is at the least inefficient from a hardware point of view, dreadfully hard on a hard drive and slower. I used to run such configurations, and they just playback like a bad dream nowdadays. Much too complicated, and today completely unnecessary for me.

You may have a need to keep those OSs, but man, I wouldn't go back to either one if I had to pay double for the cost of Windows 7. I don't know about you, but I LOVE having thumbnails for HD clips...it seems like a small thing, but Windows 7 is just CURRENT and I love the niceties of it. It runs so well.

YES! Upgrade! The last update to Vegas 9 really got it right, it's fantastic.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm looking at it more favourably, Jeff!

Is a clean install vital or can I upgrade and retain installed programs? I'm going to guess you'll recommend a clean install!
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

So I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Pro 9 - and the Sony site is down!!
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It's been down for a few hours now.
I'm using Firefox and I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
Internet Explorer - on a Firefox browser??
What the ****??
BTW, Internet Explorer can't open it either.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Clean install is not required because V9 runs fine with other versions installed.

On the other hand, if you can live without two operating systems, do it! I think you'd be better off with running Vista alone if you can, but I don't know your reasons for using two OSs.

Also, who know what the original issue your having is from? A clean install would be my personal plan of attack, just because you're starting out fresh, but that is just me.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Sorry Jeff, what I meant was a clean OS install - i.e. can I just upgrade from XP to Win7 or do I need to format and start again? I guess I could live with just the one OS. In fact, I'm certain of it. I have a few devices that don't work under Vista (in particular a Samson USB mic that I use for quick 'n dirty VO's) but there may now be Win 7 drivers. Perhaps the wrong place for these questions!

Mike - that's odd! I got the regular 'cannot establish a link' message when I just tried it with FF. Weird. But more importantly - very annoying that the site is down!
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The memory usage you see in task manager can be very misleading. That can often indicate only the actual physical memory being used, but not the actual memory committed to the process. Much of the "allocated" memory can be swapped out to disk until it is needed. And it's not all up to Vegas, the different platform codecs can handle their memory differently also.

Also, for the adventurous, if you have 2GB or more RAM, you can try setting the Large Memory Address options. This is possible on 32 or 64 bit windows, although the 32bit OS version is a bit more complicated and requires modifying boot parameters. People have used it with great success though, if I ever finish what I'm working on, I'm going to try it on my version of VMS 10, I'm currently on Win7 64bit.

Last edited by Craig Longman; August 16th, 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: GRR... I can't post the link text in, it 'automatically' inserts the article title... but it is a Creative Cow forum.
Craig Longman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions

When purchasing Windows 7, you can choose either an upgrade version or full version. Both upgrade and full versions include the same features.
Upgrade versions require that Windows XP or Windows Vista are installed on your computer before installing Windows 7.
Full versions don't require a previous version of Windows to be installed on your computer.

I'm still trying to find the time to install it myself (still on XP Pro).
My plan is to install another hard drive, install Windows 7 to it, and dual-boot until I get comfortable with it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Sorry, misunderstood. I personally have never and would never install an OS over another. Bad form, IMO, and can only lead to issues, particularly for a video editor. In your situation you should do a complete reformatting of the drive as well, prior to installing.

If you can live with Windows 7 alone, which you might only truly figure out by trying it, I would go for it. In addition, you can purchase and use the upgrade version of Win 7 pro and do a clean install with it...NO need to purchase full version. You can do a clean install with the upgrade disc. If you go this route and need help contact me and I'll give you the particulars...it's very simple.

Format your drive completely prior to the install to prevent issues. Windows 7 will format for you during the install, but is is oftentimes not thorough enough...I would zero out the drive prior to an install because of the current state of your drive...I have not done this a time or two and had to reinstall my new installation...not fun.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 16th, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #14
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
So I finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Pro 9 - and the Sony site is down!!
Ian, it's back now.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Inner Circle

And I am now the happy registered owner of v9! Now . . . to Microsoft . . . .!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...