Movie Studio Plat 9 vs 10 for preview at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Movie Studio Plat 9 vs 10 for preview

Hi everyone,

I'm a noob, so be gentle. I downloaded the trial version of Movie Studio Platinum 9 awhile back, and my .m2ts files from my Sony CX100 previewed nice and smooth. When I finally bought the software, version 10 was out. Now, using the same video clips, the preview is really choppy. Wondering if there was a difference between the 2 versions that would cause a negative effect on the preview smoothness.

I'm using a laptop with a Core2duo, 2.1ghz processor. Like I said, it worked great with the version 9 trial. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Kraig Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

We're always gentle here, especially with noobs, because we used to be one once upon a time :-)

Sony did the same thing here that they did in Pro 9.

From the Readme file:

Vegas Movie Studio can now automatically adjust the video preview size and quality to optimize frame rate during preview. Right-click the Video Preview window and select Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback if you want to emphasize frame rate during preview. When the command is not selected, video quality is emphasized, and the frame rate will be reduced if necessary.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Ah ha! Thanks for the tip. It looks better, but tends to get choppy the longer into the video it plays. But if I start it over, then it goes further each time before the frame rate slows down. Almost like there is a buffer that's getting full or something.

But at least this is a huge step forward. Thanks again.
Kraig Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The problem with this new option is that it may jump up and down the various Preview settings, depending on how it feels at the moment.
For that reason, a lot of us prefer to set it to Preview/Auto and leave it there.

The other issue is that your computer is woefully underpowered for playing back m2ts files.
An i7 processor is the standard recommendation for this type of file.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...