Main Concept AAC/AVC bitrate issue... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Main Concept AAC/AVC bitrate issue...

Trying to render out to Main Concept AAC/AVC (mpeg4 - h264) with a constant bitrate = 5,000,000 bps

When I type that bitrate in, it won't stay selected. when I close out and come back, the bitrate (render settings) have changed to 192,000. The drop down menu only lets you select (in that range) 4,000,000 and 10,000,000 -- not 5,000,000

Anybody know why I cannot type in 5,000,000 bps and have it remain and render that bit rate?

Thanks --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It is so, because the MainConcept AAC/AVC encoder included into the Vegas 9 has only two profiles to choose – Baseline (BP) and Main (MP).

At the level 2.1 (which is the specified set of constraints indicating a degree of required decoder performance for a profile), both BP and MP provide only four Mbit/s for video bit rate.

What you need is the High profile (HiP) that delivers 5 Mbit/s at the same 2.1 level. Unfortunately, HiP is missing in the Vegas 9 AAC/AVC encoder.
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Arkady --

So to get this straight -- there is no way to output a 5mbps AAC/AVC h264 file? I'm almost certian that in Vegas 8 I could choose that option.

This seems strange to me in that this is a pretty basic setting for encoding files to be uploaded to Vimeo and the likes...

Can anyone else confirm that this WAS an option in Vegas 8?
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually, there is.

Instead of the constant bit rate = 5 Mbit/s, pick the variable bit rate: type the number 5,000,000 in the Maximum (bps) and Average (bps) fields.

Not only will this option hold easy high- and low-motion changes in your video, but it will also be able to produce higher picture quality than the constant bit rate option.
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks again Arkady.

Thought I'd bring this one back.

I've been trying this with my exports (headed to Vimeo in specific) and all seems well so far. I am curious to know if this method (by the numbers, under the hood) is providing as good as or superior results compared with the same bit rate CBR? If so (and for the tech inclined here) -- why?

By selecting the same min and max number, is one in fact creating CBR -- without any bitrate fluctuation?

I know I was able to select 5 mbits CBR in Vegas 8. Why not in ver 9?

Thanks --
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi James:

The main advantage of VBR encoding is that it produces a better quality-to-space ratio compared to a CBR encoded file of the same data. The bits available are used more flexibly in order to encode video, with fewer bits used in less demanding passages and more bits used in difficult-to-encode passages.

Suppose we have chosen the rate (at which a codec's output data should be consumed) to be constant and equal to 5 Mbit/s.

Then it might happen that we had not allocated enough data for a complex scene in our video and as a result we would get an increased blockiness in this scene, because the frames would no longer being fully detailed in their rendering.

Sure, that problem could be easily solved by choosing a high bitrate (say 25 Mbit/s). However, such a solution would inevitably enlarge the size of the resultant video file and – what’s more important – could introduce stutter when streaming the file.
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...