mp4 video unplayable in wmp or quicktime, what's going on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
New Boot

mp4 video unplayable in wmp or quicktime, what's going on?

I have been trying to get a HD video to play in windows media player and/or quicktime now for 4 weeks without success. The file is in 1080p at 29.97 fps and a hair over 2gb in size. WMP gives me a pop up that says that it has encountered a problem and is unable to play the video, when it sends me to web help on the video it says it's encountered a "C00D11B1" error, which has to do with a sound card issue. It then asks me to make sure that all the software is up to date(which it is).
The weird thing is that if I chop the pre-render in half and render the two halves separately, each half plays just fine. If I then try to render the to halves together I get the same error.This would seem to indicate a size issue of some sort, but Vegas plays the entire thing just fine in .MTS(Panasonic) and Cineform .avi, no problems. Somehow 2gb worth of mp4 doesn't seem like it should be a deal breaker. Something is happening in the render that makes WMP and Quicktime throw errors.
This is a revised version of a older video I shot last year when I was first getting stated and didn't know that much about video, lighting and audio. So it is about the same length, the only difference is I shot last years version in 720p. It's a shame because the newer version looks so much better.
I'm running a beast machine using Vista, rendering with vegas 8.0 build c, plenty of ram(8GB). I don't really think its the pc because I've done about 10 smaller HD videos since without any issue.
I'm kinda at my wits end here, figure I would tap the wisdom of the internets. Any ideas guys?
Jeremy Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
New Boot

..bump..

any ideas??
Jeremy Keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Try reverting to older version of Quicktime. the new Quicktime didnt play well with Vegas for me.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You might want to try the free VLC media player. I use it for the .mp4 files my HM700 records and it handles those fine.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...