DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   White screen border problems. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/483956-white-screen-border-problems.html)

Walt Noon August 27th, 2010 07:54 PM

White screen border problems.

1 Attachment(s)
I've been doing videos with a white screen background, and placing in multiple instances of people.
I get a slight gray border line around frames placed within the larger frame.
I'll attach a snap shot of what I mean...
In the past, I would painstakingly mask these borders out, but I've "heard" there is a setting somewhere that gets rid of them. Does anyone know of this?
Thanks!
Walt

Robert Turchick August 27th, 2010 08:08 PM

Don't know Vegas but since the lines are straight can't you just crop or do they stay even after the crop? Also looks like the guy on the right is framed too close as his foot is cut off so cropping would just make it worse.
Other thought is do do a key. Instead of blue or green just specify white.

Walt Noon August 27th, 2010 08:20 PM

Can't crop unfortunately...

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, when I crop each picture, I just get a new border around the newly cropped image. This is made worse by the fact that I'm panning between characters in post, so the borders are moving all over, and that makes it nearly impossible to mask them out etc.
Thanks though!

Sean Seah August 27th, 2010 10:05 PM

Have u tried putting a border with feather edges on the image? The guy with the leg cut off would be an issue thou.

Edward Troxel August 28th, 2010 07:15 AM

I think I'd try using the Pan/Crop masking feature.

Craig Longman August 28th, 2010 10:51 PM

I'm trying to understand where they might come from.

One thing that struck me, you mentioned that re-cropping simply yields a newly placed grey line? These are multiple videos, shot on a white screen that don't show these lines at all when viewed individually? You're compositing them against a white background media?

I've tried what you've done, with video and stills and had no such problems.

It almost sounds like this is a teeny-tiny 2D shadow or glow peeking through in the background.

Walt Noon August 29th, 2010 02:22 AM

Problem Solved!

Hey! Thanks everyone!!!!

The problem had an ODD, but complete solution, so I wanted to mention it here in case any of you run into it in Vegas...

When you select any video event FX, you'll notice at the bottom of the box that pops up for that FX there is a little arrow next to the name of the FX. This is the "pre/post" toggle arrow.

All you have to do to get rid of these annoying borders is toggle that arrow for each FX you have loaded.

I assume that why Vegas does this is to allow you to visualize the borders of different video clips layed in for positioning purposes.

It would have been MUCH smarter to have the borders appear when working on the project, but not have them appear in the final render as you'd never want that regardless.

I know with Vegas I've come across a number of things like this that no one would ever want in a render...

Like, why wouldn't any time you select "Save snapshot to file" automatically save the best quality picture?

Thanks again!

Edward Troxel August 29th, 2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Noon (Post 1563813)
Like, why wouldn't any time you select "Save snapshot to file" automatically save the best quality picture?

It DOES - at least it does now in the latest versions. It's been that way for well over a year now (can't remember if it was added in late 8's or early 9's)

But I can see where it would be nice to get snapshots at lower resolutions as well - depending on your reason for wanting the snapshot! I kind of liked it the old way as I could control the resolution I got and could easily use a script to get "full" resolution without having to worry about changing the various settings or switching them back.

Thanks for telling us the ultimate solution. The Pre/Post toggle flag determines whether the effect is applied to the image BEFORE it does the pan/crop or AFTER it does the pan/crop. It's not an overly well-known feature but is very important.

Walt Noon August 30th, 2010 08:55 PM

Using Vegas 8

Thanks again. I'm using version 8c. Build 260.