Sony VEGAS PRO 10 Announced! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Trustee

There is slight mention of dslr support but it seems that transcoding with cineform is still required?
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
There is slight mention of dslr support but it seems that transcoding with cineform is still required?
Actually, it can handle footage from some DSLRs directly - particularly those that record in AVCHD format. However, for best performance with such AVCHD footage one of certain NVIDIA CUDA cards is strongly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Mesman View Post
From October 11 on there will be a fully functional 30-days demo version of Vegas pro v10 available for download.
This is in slight contrast to Vegas 9 Pro, which in its trial version all video formats are supported for both import and export but only 2-channel stereo audio in LPCM or 192kbps Dolby Digital Studio is supported. A paid registration is required for multichannel audio support or for additional customizable audio formats including Dolby Digital Pro.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Helander View Post

Image Stabilizer is proDAD's Mercalli
Mercalli V2
Does Sony specifically state that the stabilizer is the full Mercalli V2? Or is it a "lite" version. Mercalli V2 looks good. I just want to be sure that I won't be given the 'opportunity' to upgrade it to the full featured version after I buy a Pro 10 upgrade.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Actually, it can handle footage from some DSLRs directly - particularly those that record in AVCHD format. However, for best performance with such AVCHD footage one of certain NVIDIA CUDA cards is strongly recommended.

I wish they'd put more effort into the DSLR compatibility. Are there really that many people who use Vegas interested in 3d shooting and editing?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Will Vegas 10 make Matrox support & other high quality plug-ins available for After Effects & Premier possible?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I wish they'd put more effort into the DSLR compatibility. Are there really that many people who use Vegas interested in 3d shooting and editing?
Yes but Sony is really, really pushing 3D - that's why it's in there. Sure looks like a nice upgrade from my (recently purchased) Vegas 9E but I'm not going to fork out money for yet another software upgrade just yet. My set-up is running so nice and stable (and as we all know, early versions of Vegas can be a bit troublesome - it usually takes them until about D or E before they get the glitches all sorted, at least that's my opinion).
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #22
Major Player

I wish they included 24mbs avchd encoding. But I don't see it mentioned, probably still is 15mbs.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Trustee

Sony backs itself into a corner sometimes. They tend to segregate the market into 'neat little segments', in an effort to control these segment to suit their own interests (read - $$$). I suspect the AVC bitrate limitation is one of those cases. AVC bitrates above 15 mbs are 'reserved' for a higher-level market segment. The problem - for Sony is they box themselves in with these maneuvers which causes them to get bit where they normally expect to sit down.by the competition. I suspect it's difficult for Sony to understand they don't control the market as much as they think they do.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #24
Major Player

Surely they would not have 24Mbt encoding, which I expected in V9. It is now in some of the low end editors such as Cyberlink Power Director if I'm not mistaken. This would wipe it out for me.

With all the raving on about 3D, how many, say, wedding videographers and lots of others, are going to be fussed about this ? I'm sure they'd be more impressed with down to earth things like 24Mbt encoding and faster rendering etc. as this translates to better video quality and more efficient workflow for the vast majority who have no intention of going to 3D for years yet.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #25
Major Player

I personally really like the 3D editing feature. I have taken many 3D videos in the last months. :-)
As for 24mbit avchd, why don't use debugmode frameserver, and render with a thirdparty encoder, that support this format? Isn't available such one? I don't know, i edit mainly DV and HDV.

What i like to see in future version is the directx accelerated preview window, new effects, transitions (for example the push and slide transition with accelerated speed not with linear, a really nice glow transition, a better titler, set markers while capturing, better slow-mo algorithm, etc..)
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Apropos, are you aware that you can edit stereoscopic 3D (S3D) video also in Vegas 9.0e without any add-ons or additional tools?

Those who are interested in editing S3D video in Vegas pro 9 may search the Net for the Workflow Paper (revised April 2, 2010) detailing in five steps how to achieve this without costly upgrade to version 10.
Arkady Bolotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #27
Major Player

No. I made a relaxing 3D movie (check my homepage) for which i used
8.0c and it worked very well (syncronizing clips, grouping them together,
render the left and right tracks to separate files, sometimes without recompression, etc..)
I even buyed a Zalman Trimon and, can set the preview window to interlaced 3D with a mask,
so INSTANT 3D is possible while editing.
Last summer i worked with 2d wedding videos, and take 3d nature and family videos, but don't have
time to edit it. This time we was in Austria.
So if Vegas 10 will have even better 3d workflow, then it's a good news to me!
It will be arrived just in time :)
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I do not understand the technicalities, but had been waiting for gpu utilization for the purpose of enhancing ACVHD, etc., performance on the timeline, not rendering. Rendering speeds as they are are fine with the newer processors, IMO.
Old September 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Will they have an upgrade price for those of us who just bought Vegas 9?
Dan Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Dan, what has happened in the past is that users who bought a previous release less than a month before a new release was announced got the new version for free.
You'll have to wait until this version is released on Oct. 11 to see if this policy is still followed or not.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...