DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas and Cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/484753-vegas-cineform.html)

Brian Luce September 15th, 2010 03:41 AM

Vegas and Cineform

My workaround for buggy Vegas 9 has been to go back to using Vegas 6. Beautiful and stable.

Tonight I tried rendering out to 720p intermediate (Vegas's built in CF) and got "Not licensed for Cineform HD encoding. Please visit....".

I've rendered a million things to 720p intermediate. Suddenly it doesn't work.

Likely culprit: CF files stopped playing earlier today for reasons I can't fathom so I downloaded the latest CF player, now I can't render, though CF files play fine again.

What can I do?

Edward Troxel September 15th, 2010 06:21 AM

What you installed was the RETAIL version. So it seems your two options would be:

1. Pay for the retail version.

2. Uninstall the retail version and reinstall Vegas 6.

Brian Luce September 15th, 2010 08:44 AM

I thought the retail version was a freebie? I'm talking about the player. the CF player.

Brian Luce September 15th, 2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1569554)
What you installed was the RETAIL version. So it seems your two options would be:

1. Pay for the retail version.

2. Uninstall the retail version and reinstall Vegas 6.

I contacted Cineform and they said the more likely culprit is the CFHD.dll file that installs with vegas 6 and that I should find it in the vegas program folder and delete it. then try rendering out again.

I found the CFHD.dll not in the Vegas folders but in the system 32 folder. I deleted it and rebooted and got the same "Not licensed for CF encoding" and "No compatible video codec was found".

As far as I can tell, the the Neoplayer is free.

Randall Leong September 16th, 2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1569698)
I contacted Cineform and they said the more likely culprit is the CFHD.dll file that installs with vegas 6 and that I should find it in the vegas program folder and delete it. then try rendering out again.

I found the CFHD.dll not in the Vegas folders but in the system 32 folder. I deleted it and rebooted and got the same "Not licensed for CF encoding" and "No compatible video codec was found".

As far as I can tell, the the Neoplayer is free.

Actually, you don't have a supported CF encoder at all. And the free Neoplayer supports only playback of CF AVI files, and does not support encoding at all. And the included CF codec in Vegas 6 does not support your particular video format. All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.

Brian Luce September 16th, 2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1570014)
Actually, you don't have a supported CF encoder at all. And the free Neoplayer supports only playback of CF AVI files, and does not support encoding at all. And the included CF codec in Vegas 6 does not support your particular video format. All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.

Okay but that CF codec in Vegas 6 has in fact supported the same format for several years and been a workhorse for me. Suddenly it just stopped working. The folks at Cineform haven't been able to figure it out either and said they'll do a remote access to my PC to try and figure it out.

Probably I'll just reinstall Vegas and see if that straightens it out.

Mike Kujbida September 16th, 2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.
Videoguys.com - CineForm NeoScene for PC and Mac: $99.95

Edward Troxel September 16th, 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1570025)
Okay but that CF codec in Vegas 6 has in fact supported the same format for several years and been a workhorse for me.

That's why I said uninstall everything from Cineform you installed and then reinstall Vegas to get it back to "normal". Or maybe just do a system restore back to when it worked before you installed Cineform.