Vegas and Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 15th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas and Cineform

My workaround for buggy Vegas 9 has been to go back to using Vegas 6. Beautiful and stable.

Tonight I tried rendering out to 720p intermediate (Vegas's built in CF) and got "Not licensed for Cineform HD encoding. Please visit....".

I've rendered a million things to 720p intermediate. Suddenly it doesn't work.

Likely culprit: CF files stopped playing earlier today for reasons I can't fathom so I downloaded the latest CF player, now I can't render, though CF files play fine again.

What can I do?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What you installed was the RETAIL version. So it seems your two options would be:

1. Pay for the retail version.

2. Uninstall the retail version and reinstall Vegas 6.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I thought the retail version was a freebie? I'm talking about the player. the CF player.
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
What you installed was the RETAIL version. So it seems your two options would be:

1. Pay for the retail version.

2. Uninstall the retail version and reinstall Vegas 6.
I contacted Cineform and they said the more likely culprit is the CFHD.dll file that installs with vegas 6 and that I should find it in the vegas program folder and delete it. then try rendering out again.

I found the CFHD.dll not in the Vegas folders but in the system 32 folder. I deleted it and rebooted and got the same "Not licensed for CF encoding" and "No compatible video codec was found".

As far as I can tell, the the Neoplayer is free.
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I contacted Cineform and they said the more likely culprit is the CFHD.dll file that installs with vegas 6 and that I should find it in the vegas program folder and delete it. then try rendering out again.

I found the CFHD.dll not in the Vegas folders but in the system 32 folder. I deleted it and rebooted and got the same "Not licensed for CF encoding" and "No compatible video codec was found".

As far as I can tell, the the Neoplayer is free.
Actually, you don't have a supported CF encoder at all. And the free Neoplayer supports only playback of CF AVI files, and does not support encoding at all. And the included CF codec in Vegas 6 does not support your particular video format. All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Actually, you don't have a supported CF encoder at all. And the free Neoplayer supports only playback of CF AVI files, and does not support encoding at all. And the included CF codec in Vegas 6 does not support your particular video format. All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.
Okay but that CF codec in Vegas 6 has in fact supported the same format for several years and been a workhorse for me. Suddenly it just stopped working. The folks at Cineform haven't been able to figure it out either and said they'll do a remote access to my PC to try and figure it out.

Probably I'll just reinstall Vegas and see if that straightens it out.
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
All this means that you must purchase at least the $130 NeoScene just to get a CF codec that supports encoding.
Videoguys.com - CineForm NeoScene for PC and Mac: $99.95

Last edited by Mike Kujbida; September 16th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Okay but that CF codec in Vegas 6 has in fact supported the same format for several years and been a workhorse for me.
That's why I said uninstall everything from Cineform you installed and then reinstall Vegas to get it back to "normal". Or maybe just do a system restore back to when it worked before you installed Cineform.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...